cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which one I have to choose either JAVA or ABAP/4 ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I am kid at SAP XI,Previously I am at Data Warehouse developer(DataStage)as well as Database programmer.Now I came to this environment.

What my doubt is which script lang(JAVA/ABAP) I have to choose to settle in this SAP XI.Plz give me one good option to choose for my future career.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sam_raju
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Venkata Narayana,

Your experience in Data warehousing and RDBMS concepts would be very helpful in SAP XI Projects.

XI has a reliable messaging based on Web services and XML. Understanding the concepts of XML, WSDL, EAI and B2B is more important than Java and ABAP.

SAP XI has many Out-of-the-box features and easy to use visual editors for mapping and routing. It also has many out-of-the-box technical adapters for connectivity between A2A and B2B and between SAP and Non-SAP systems like IDOC,RFC,HTTP,SOAP,JMS,JDBC,SMTP and so on. Good understanding of these concepts is importnat and would be very helpful in XI implementations.

With this, I am not saying that you don't need have Java and ABAP skillset. Knowledge of java and ABAP is definitely important in XI implementations but you don't have to be Java Guru or an ABAP Guru.

The Knowledge of Java programming would be helpful in writing customized mapping functions and custom adapters and modules. The knowledge of ABAP programming helps you understand the backend functionality and in writng and debugging the ABAP Interfaces like RFC,BAPI, IDOC Proxies.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sam Raju

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tnx Guys,

I got ful filled answers from all of you and tnx to jyothivel for giving the previous links.

former_member185846
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Since most of the stuffs like mapping, etc are inbuilt as Graphical tools in XI you can make use of them.Most of the time you'll be using them only. But in any case, if you want to enhance or customize them, then you should know both Java and ABAP.

Rgds,

Jothivel.

Note: Pls provide some valuable points if you are satisfied.

Message was edited by: Jothivel Sundaram

former_member185846
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Also look at the following blog

Rgds,

Jothivel.

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat,

You ve got to be the JACK of ALL TRADES..!! From my little experience in XI, I have found that it doesnt hurt to have knowldege of both JAVA and ABAP as XI understands and uses both these technologies..!!

For instance like Michal told, RFCs etc, you need to know ABAP to understand them better and for Mapping and creating your own Adapter, etc you need JAVA.

So go for both and it will help you in the long run,

Regards,

Bhavesh

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

both

abap - to prepare data selections or insert from the SAP

(rfc, idocs etc.)

java - to enhance standard XI's functionality on the java stack (new adapters, mappings etc.)

Regards,

michal

-

<a href="/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/06/28/xipi-faq-frequently-asked-questions">XI FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions</a>