cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAR 5.3 Background Job Performance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear board,

we are on RAR 5.3 SP0 and are currently facing extremely long runtime for the Risk Analysis Background Jobs, sometimes they even fail and time out. The system is currently running on Windows Server 2003 and MS SQL Server with one J2EE Server node, the system got 8 GB RAM overall. I had issues with Oracle DB in the past, but I was not able to find anything related to this setup.

I have found Note 1034117 so far, is there any other advice you can provide?

Kind regards and many thanks in advance,

Richard

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In RAR 5.3 background jobs there is a new addition of real time progress indicator functionality by which you can check the overall progress of the tasks completed or tasks waiting to be processed by clicking on the alien icon "man running on the bar with % sign" under status column. When you drill down you can also see an overall progress bar on the top as well as a list of tasks in the ALV table.

If your background job is taking too much time then use the pagination or just select ready, running or error from "status" drop down and reach to the specific point where tasks status is waiting or failed, you can find out the exact task which is taking too long or a specific error at object level if the background job fails.

This is a very useful addition for troubleshooting Background jobs in RAR. hope that helps.

Best Regards,

Amol Bharti

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amol,

thanks for your message. I am really sorry, but I can not find the way to the feature you describe? There is no chance that it is contained in a SP?

Thanks for your help,

Richard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Richard,

If you are not able to locate the functionality then it may be a part of SPs for AC5.3. When i first installed AC5.3 I had upgraded to latest SP level instantly that's why i didn't had to face this problem.

Still to confirm, please follow the below given path and let me know if you can locate the functionality before applying SPs.

RAR 5.3 > Configuration > Background Job > Schedule Job >

Now go for a full sync of a particular system, select only one system. when the background job is scheduled, note down the background job no.

Now go to Search > enter Job Id > press Search button

Now check out the second last column "Result"

and tell me if you can see an icon "man running with % sign"

if you can not see it then probably you should apply SP and if you can see that then follow my first reply.

Regards,

Amol Bharti

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amol,

many thanks again, I can not see this icon. So it is probably contained in one of the SPs I'll have to install the next days :-).

Nevertheless I am still looking for recommendations on performance improvement.

Kind regards,

Richard

Former Member
0 Kudos

First of all check this link: [click here|https://websmp210.sap-ag.de/performance] for more insight on performance tuning, you will find a lot regarding SAP standard application benchmarks and sizing.

You can fine tune RAR using following settings.

go to configuration > Risk Analysis > Performance Tuning

1) First of all consider the appropriate Batch Size for User

Synchronization. This setting specifies the number of users to synchronize at once or in one batch. Increase this value to improve performance. However, increasing this value too high might cause time-outs to occur during synchronization. So you have to check this by hit and trial method or get some help from a basis or network administrator who knows about batch sizing.

2) Now decide the Number of Web Services Worker

Threads. This setting specifies the number of server threads to dedicate

to web service calls, such as calls from the Risk Analysis

Engine. If you experience risk analysis performance issues,

consider increasing this thread allocation.

3. then enter the appropriate Number of Background Job Worker

Threads. This setting specifies the number of server threads to dedicate for background jobs. If background job operations slow

performance, consider increasing this thread allocation. If you

schedule multiple background job processes to run

simultaneously, these operations might be delayed until

another background job completes. But if you can have an understanding with other admin users to execute one or maximum two background jobs at a time then you can decrease the number of threads this way your processor and ram would be consumed by only two simultaneous threads.

4. The last option I can see is RFC Time-out for Web Services /

Background Job Worker Threads. This setting specifies in minutes the time-out value for remote function calls. The amount of data you process and the number of threads you allocate can affect whether you experience RFC time-outs during web service or background job operations. So if you have 2 background jobs thread then you should keep 30 minutes which is default value but if you consider increasing the background job threads then you should also increase the timeout value. It is obvious that more the background jobs you schedule the more server resources will be consumed. So have a policy in place for this.

Using Access Control you can monitor the availability of technical components and availability of the entire business process; monitor application statistics, and trace the performance of applications and the database supported by Netweaver JAVA 700 platform SP12 or higher.

Logging files are automatically written and can be displayed and analyzed within the same web browser.

For complete documentation on monitoring please download AC 5.3 Operations user guide from sap service market place. and turn to page no. 12/40

Best Regards,

Amol Bharti

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check Note 1044174 for Recommendation for CC 5.x running on Oracle 10G Database

Check Note 1044173 for Recomended Netweaver Setting for Access Control 5.x

Check Note 1178459 for Sizing Access Control 5.X

Also you should consider installing SPs as per Note no 1168120 - and it is mentioned in tyhe note that installing SP 1 resolves Performance relates issues.

In SP 2 and SP 3 some background jobs functionalities and threads relates problems are resolved.There is also a patch 1 of SP2 which addresses some other issues.

There are many correction in SP 4 as well, So I woulkd recommend installing all 4 SPs ASAP.

Best Regards,

Amol Bharti