cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with opening MS Excel files through Portal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have a user that is complaining about the behaviour of MS Excel files in the Portal. The MS Excel files do not match their behaviour at the windows level. The issue has to do with how MS Excel files never seem to open in a maximized sate when you open them from the portal. The same cannot be said about MS Word files. The behaviour of MS word files is consistent between windows and portal.

Solutions will be REWARDED.

Thanks & Regards,

Krishnen Subramanian.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

where are You trying to open the excel, in an iview??Is it getting opened??Can You elaborate Your problem.

Regards

Hussain.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hussain,

I hav uploaded the excel file into my KM contentafter that when i try to open it , it does not open as maximized.

Let me explain:

I create a new excel file on my desktop:

I open this file:

I maximize the workbook and save:

I close Excel and then open the file right back up:

I notice that Excel and the workbook open up maximized. I close Excel again.

I now upload the file to the portal:

I then open the file from here:

It is noticed that the Excel is not maximized. We would like for it to behave as it does from the desktop. In other words, if it is saved as maximized, it should open from the portal that way. If it is saved as half way open, it should open that way from the portal.

I have found that MS Word documents behave in the portal as they do on the desktop. I create an MS Word file on my desktop:

There appears to be something portal related that prevents MS Excel files from opening maximized.

Hope you will be abl to solve the message.

Thanks & Regards,

Krishnen Subramanian.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hussain,

I'll let you know once i get a solution.

Thanks anyways..

cheers,

krishnen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Even I have uploaded the file and checked.I am also getting the new window in the minimized form.I dont think so it is related to the settings in portal.It may be some settings in Internet Explorer.

Regards

Hussain.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hussain,

please advice as to how to overcome this error.

regards,

krishnen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krishnen,

I know this is not the exact solution, but an alternative.

In KM content, where you give the link to the Excel sheet, change the property to Active Window and check.

If your IE is in maximized state, then after changing the property to Active Window, the excel sheet will open in the same IE in the maximized state.

Reward points if helpful.

Regards,

Jay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jay,

I went to the properties option while uploading the excel file in the KM content area....But after checking the active option and then opening the excel file there seemed to be no change in the size.

Please advice as to how to proceed ..

Regards,

Krishnen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jay,

I upload my excel file in the km content area.....i do not add the excel file as a link.

There is an option called active inside the tab "Miscellaneous" under properties option. I checked that button. Is this what you are referring to??/

If not please advice as to how to proceed.

Thanks,

krishnen.

P.S.:- U will be REWARDED for your able guidance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krishnen,

The alternative which i said was for html file. In that you can give the link to the excel sheet.

regards

jay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hussain,

Please advice as to what changes is to be made in the IE Settings so as to overcome this problem.

regards,

Krishnen Subramanian.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krishnen,

sorry for the delay.I tried a lot to find solution for it, but i didnt get any thing.You try finding it from Microsoft support center may be you can get something.Please let me know if You solve this issue.

Regards

Hussain.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krishnen,

Try to check with other users if they have the same look and feel when they open the same Excel.This way, you are isolating the issue to see if its the IE in that hardware which is giving you the headache or if its Portal (which I believe is not the cause). If possible, try to open it via another browser to see if the effect exist, this way you can be sure.

Most of the time, when user complaints about MS Office applications opening in Portal, its mostly link to their IE or Security Update in IE.

Example of related issue with MS office applications with Portal: https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/thread?messageID=1307495

Hope that helps.

Ray

Edited by: Raymond HENG on Oct 21, 2008 9:23 AM