cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing length of Asset Super Number

Former Member
0 Kudos

In Asset Accounting, we have defined 5 character Asset Super Numbers, which are being used currently. Our users have requested that we increase the length of the Asset Super Number that we use to 7 characters.

I assume that we can do this as it appears that this is a freely

definable field, but they also would like the existing numbers which have already been defined, to be changed to 7 characters.

From my understanding of the Asset Super Number field, it is used mainly as a grouping field for reporting.

What is the impact of changing the existing Asset Super Numbers to 7 characters? Is it just a matter of changing them in table V_T087U and also changing the relevant Asset master records to which these Super Numbers have been assigned? Will this have any adverse effects on the already existing data?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes, your understanding is correct that asset super no. is used mainly for grouping purpose. Since its length is 12 characters you can easily use 7 characters long super no. To change all your super no. from 5 character to 7 would not accomplish anything as you will still be able to report on either 5 or 7 character long super no. so i dont know why change your super no. length and go thru mass change of (1) changing your 5 char long super to 7 char long in IMG and (2) Mass change all your current asset master records to display new 7 char long super asset no.

There is not much value added to all this excerise.

Hope this helps.