Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Crystal XI causing reports to take 20+ minutes to open

We use Crystal Reports with TIER (totally integrated electronic record). Our computer system is part of a state network. Our TIER programmer lives in another city. He creates Crystal reports from his location and we create them here at our facility also. Last week his local server (on the state network) was replaced. The server in question is not used by us -- our database is located on another server and our reports are also located elsewhere. Network staff said we should see no impact at all since we do not use that server. When they took down his local server (they were switching from a novell server to a microsoft server) -- we suddenly developed a problem opening reports. They would open, but only after 20 minutes or longer. After much troubleshooting we were able to figure out that any reports the programmer did were the problem. Any reports created here were opening fine. Once opened, all reports ran fine and queried the database quickly as usual. There is no question about how he creates reports versus how we do -- he taught us and has started reports here that do work. We finally got the network guys to start up the old server in the other city. As soon as they did, our reports worked correctly again. We have gotten them to agree to leave that server up while we work this out. It seems Crystal is automatically tying to the original user's originating server for some reason. I can't find any place in Crystal to change this. I opened several reports, re-saved them from here but it didn't change anything. I also went in through Crystal and Set Datasource Location (updated each field in report), but it didn't help. I think the reason that isn't working is because there isn't anything wrong with the connection to the database itself. For whatever reason it is like Crystal is searching for that old server for 20 minutes, finally decides to move on and then the report opens (sorry, not a very technical description). We use a ton of reports and right now my only option is to rebuild from scratch or ensure the old server is left up and running indefinitely. Does anyone have any idea how to break the apparent automatic connection to that old server?

Helpful Answer

by
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question