cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I use events to automate administrative monitoring and tasks?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Where can I find specific documentation on how to configure or program events to automate administrative tasks such as identifying scheduled report instances that have failed and or enable report creators / analysts to locate reports by name?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Why do you want to use events to determine which reports have failed?

In any case, there is no document (that I know of) like the one you desire.

Best,

Srinivas

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks so much...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Glad to help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Very Helpful thanks, do you know of any documentaton that exists for setting up auditing that I can review / study as well?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Everything you need is in the [Administrators Guide|http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/boexir2/en/xir2_bip_Admin_en.pdf] and the [Auditors Guide|http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/boexir2/en/xir2_bip_auditor_en.pdf] .

Srinivas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks we do have professional....

when I go to settings from the management section of cmc auditing = disabled

but I can set audit notification to audit when: on success or failure

how do I enable auditing at the cmc and what is the distinction between the two?

Former Member
0 Kudos

when I go to settings from the management section of cmc auditing = disabled

but I can set audit notification to audit when: on success or failure

When you try to enable audit notification, BOE will give you an "Auditing is disabled" sort of error. To enable auditing, you first need to set up an auditing db from the CCM. i.e. Stop the CMS >> Right-Click >> Properties >> Switch to the Configuration tab >> Setup an Auditing datasource.

Once that's done, you need to verify that you have an Activity universe in repository and that it can connect to your Auditing db. Note that the Auditing db is (has to be) different from the CMS db.

When this is done, go ahead and enable auditing on all servers that support it (from the CMC).

Hope this help.

Srinivas

Former Member
0 Kudos

I couldn't tell if we were premium or professional. How can I verify that?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Go to CMC >> License Keys.

This should tell you how license you have.

If you have Pro or Premium, your license allows for Auditing...and you seem to be on BOE XI R2 SP2 (from the server version numbers).

Edited by: Srinivas Ganapathi on Oct 21, 2008 5:19 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am interested in knowing more about Monitoring/Alerting on the BO XI R2 services in a Windows environment, not just on failed reports.

I know there are a bunch of add-on tools that we can use, but just wondering if there's any custom solution out there for monitoring...

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, the check box under Auditing Data Source is not checked.

We have BOE XI R2 version 11.5.8.826

Former Member
0 Kudos

Auditing is grey-ed out and so is everything else....the logon is using the local system account though...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is there a check next to 'Auditing Data Source' ?

What version of BOE do you have? Premium or Professional? Or do you have CRS/Edge?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I know that when I schedule reports I can enable audit notification for that scheduled instance. So, I'm thinking yes. If not, can you tell me how to verify?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, the easiest way would be to check if you have an Activity universe and the db (Audit db)to which it connects has any data.

You should be able to import your Activity Universe from Designer.

Another way to check is via the CCM, right-click on CMS>> Properties and switch to the Configuration tab. Check if Auditing is enabled here.

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is the best way to have a report distributed once a day that indicates all of the report instances that have failed for the previous day?

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is relatively simple via the Activity universe presuming of course that auditing is enabled.

So, first of all, do you have a license that includes auditing and is auditing enabled?