cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change the password of windows for SAP system admin <sapsid>adm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

Could you please show me what is the procedure steps by steps on how to change the password for the Windows superuser for SAP system administration <sapsid>adm and SAPService<SID>.

Windows 2003 server

NW 7 SP9

Oracle 10

Thanks in advance,

David

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

debasissahoo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Davidn,

Is there any particular reason you want to change the password for these users?

In the installation guide of SAP components it mentions that you set it as "Password never expire" for these accounts.

Regards,

Debasis.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Debasis,

Thanks for your reponse. For security reasons, the client has requested to change the password every six months. We don't normally recommended, but the client insist.

Thanks

David

debasissahoo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Davidn,

Though I've not done it before, but below will be the procedure.

You have to use "Standard Windows method" of changing the password of these users. This is as per the below link http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/c5/9b2ee8f05011d3a6510000e835363f/frameset.htm

As these users are externally identified to the database, you don't have to change anything in the database. To check if they are externally identified or not, below two parameters should be set.

REMOTE_OS_AUTHENT=TRUE

•OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX=OPS$

sqlplus "/as sysdba";
show parameter <parameter name>;

However, you've to do below activities after password change: (very important)

- Enter the new password in the service administration tool for all releated SAP<SID>_<Instance> services

- restart all related SAP instances

If I were to change the password, I'd follow this,

- first shutdown SAP

- then would do the password changes,

- maintain the password in services

- start SAP.

(if SAP<SID>_<nn> doesn't have the correct password of SAPServiceSID user, then it will fail and inconsistencies happen in MMC entries.)

Regards,

Debasis.

Edited by: Debasis Sahoo on Oct 20, 2008 10:39 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Debasis,

Since this is my first time of doing this, I just have couple other questions before proceed. Please correct me if I am wrong.

1) shutdown SAP system and Sevices

2)change the pw for both User-><SID>adm and SAPservice<SID> using the computer management ?

3)go the services and enter all new password in the services

4) restart all the related SAP instances

Also, do I need to do anything with SAPOsCol service?

Thanks so much again for your time,

David

debasissahoo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

You're correct. If SAPOsCol is running with any of these users, stop it and start it after maintaining the correct password.

One more thing, if you're multiple servers and CI/DB on distributed system, then better to have the same password for <SID>adm and SAPService<SID> on each server.

Regards,

Debasis

Edited by: Debasis Sahoo on Oct 20, 2008 10:57 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks so much again! Max point has been rewarded.

Answers (0)