cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic import of excel spreadsheet

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am running Crystal Reports XI against a SQL Server database. My goal is to display an excel spreadsheet (like it is a word document) but be able to dynamically change the folder and/or filename. I tried inserting an OLE object and then going to format graphic (right click) and then the picture tab and clicking the formula button next to graphic location. I wanted to read the folder in from a db table but it does not see to work. I heard that there may be a bug and this doesn't work. Is this true and if it is

1. Any plans to get this bug fixed

2. Any workarounds that anybody knows of?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Please re-post if this is still an issue or purchase a case and have a dedicated support engineer work with you directly:

http://store.businessobjects.com/store/bobjamer/DisplayProductByTypePage&parentCategoryID=&categoryI...

Or Go to this link: http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/boc and download the trial version of CR XI R2 and use your XI keycode, then apply the patches which you can get to by clicking on the BusinessObjects tab above, then Downloads.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Elizabeth,

I could understand from your note :

--You have a excel sheet which you are inserting as OLE object

--You are trying to change the excel path (folder and file name) dynamically

--You are inseting a formula under Graphic Location

I am not getting you what you are trying to read from table data like ..

"I wanted to read the folder in from a db table but it does not see to work. "

You want to insert your table data into an Excel and insert as OLE object ?

Thanks,

Sastry

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will have a database table called 'graphic' and it will have two fields report_name and graphic_folder. An example of the data might be

Order555

C:\temp\555\

Order556

c:\temp\556\

So then if the user is running the report of Order555 the report will look to folder c:\temp\555\ for the excel file (say it is called order.xls).

It would be even better if I could specify the file name too. For example a table called Graphic that has three fields

report_name

graphic_folder

file_name

and then I would have data like

Order555

c:\temp\555\

Order555.xls

Then I would pull in c:\temp\555\order555.xls