cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File transfer with acknowledgement email

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a scenario to transfer file from apps server to FTP server.

Requirement is to have an acknowledgement email on success / failure of transfer of file.

I have used BPM and in send step requested for a transport acknowledgement.

I have following question in this design:

1. I am not getting negative acknowledgement back, which should go to exception / deadline branch.

2. How can I read the acknowledgement to send an email?

Regards,

Ashish

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

prasad_ulagappan2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Acknowledgement works in a different way. XI wont get any acknowledgement physically. Inside BPM, the steps after transport acknolwegement will execute only if it sucesfully reaches the target, if not, then the remaning steps wont get executed. So, in your case, after the transport acknowledgement step put a send step to send a mail to the corresponding user for sucessfull message delivery.

If you need to send a mail even in case of failure, then you should go with different architecture instead of BPM.

Edited by: Prasad Ulagappan on Oct 20, 2008 9:04 AM

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This will help

Regards,

Prateek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasad,

Can you suggest how can achieve this without BPM?

Regards,

Ashish

prasad_ulagappan2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Ashish, do you need to send a mail for each and every file or just a consolidated one for a particular time period is enough.

If you need a mail for each file, then I think its quite a challenging task.

If its for a consolidated period of time we can do it in this architecture.

1. Create a table in ABAP Stack of XI with 2 fields , File name and reached target (flag field to check whether the file has reached the target or not)

2. Create a funciton module to place the file name whenever XI picks up the message.

3. Inside mapping, you need to call this RFC just like a lookup call to fill up the file name inside the table (dont consider the reply from funciton module)

4. Then do the BPM as you have done earlier.

5. after BPM do another mapping to fill up the next column in the (ABAP Stack) table for reached the target or not.

So for a particular period of time, this table should be filledup with values file name and another flag whether the file has reached the target or not. Schedule an ABAP program to send this data as mail to the req mail ids.

Without BPM, we can do it with script, but the only issue is the receiver needs to know the exact time when it expects the file. But in a normal business case, it wouldnt be possible.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasad,

Requirement is to send email for each file transfer.

Thanks for info on consolidated file, it will help me in future requirements.

Regards,

Ashish

prasad_ulagappan2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Ashish,

We can do a work around for this issue.

1. As I said earlier, same way create a table (now with 3 fields: 1 for file name, 1 for reached target flag, 1 for send mail tab) and RFC in ABAP Stack.

2. Do the remaining part as it is.

3. Instead of sending a mail consolidated for some time, create an ABAP program schedule every 5 minutes, to check for all the entries in the table, if the table entry doesnt have the flag for reached target means that it has been failed so send a mail saying that interface has been failed. If it has the flag, send a mail that the file has reached the target.

This is just a work around for your req, because as of my understanding for each file it wont be possible.

There is another work around too. You can do the same way how you have done so for each successfull posting a email will be going. Also raise an Alert in your interface, so that if anything goes wrong in your interface, this alert will trigger and sending a mail. Overall, if it is sucessfull interface itself will trigger a mail and in case of failure, Alert will send a email. Hope this solution would be as close to your requirement.