Use TREX Search outside portal

former_member245887
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Our situation:

1.We have our intranet indexed with Autonomy search engine;

2.We have TREX installed and we have SAP EP7.0

3.We have our intranet also indexed by TREX in our SAP portal (using Web Repository in KM).

Now we would like to replace Autonomy intranet search with TREX. This means that the search field on the intranet page should contact TREX for a search instead of Autonomy.

How can we achieve that?

I have found documents and blogs about TREX API. I know that TREX Java client communicates with TREX server over TCP/IP and that they exchange XML files with the search request and results.

Maybe this would be possible if a TREX java client was available outside portal, but I haven't found it until now.

Kind Regards

Edmond Paulussen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188556
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Edmond,

U can use TREX search functionalities using urls.

This would be the simplest approach where u need to change the urls that u generate

while clicking on the search button on ur autonomy search engine.

If u can list all the existing/expected behaviours of search we can give u with more info on this approach

Regards

BP

former_member245887
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Bobu George,

Thanks for your answer.

What do you mean with "U can use TREX search functionalities using urls"?

Can you clarify a bit?

Kind Regards

Edmond

former_member188556
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Edmond,

The best way to know this is,

Go to any KM Folder which is indexed,

Perform a "Search From Here" KM Command.

Search Result will open in a new window.

Check the URL there.

There will be a query string and also a SEARCH_FROM_HERE parameter

By manipulating these we can have search executed with a URL and also passing various search parameters.

Regards

BP

former_member245887
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

This is the URL I get before I click the search button:

http://xxxxxxxxxx/irj/go/km/basicsearch?SearchType=ctrlpers&SelectedSearchIn=FROM_HERE&SelectedSearc...

This is the URL from the search results:

http://xxxxxxxxxx/irj/go/km/prteventname/HtmlbEvent/prtroot/pcd!3aportal_content!2fevery_user!2fgene...

However, I do not see the query string. Do I miss something? Has this anything to do with, for instance, the configuration of the URL generator service?

Another question: the URL contains the name of the portal (xxxxxxxxxx). Should this be replaced by the name of TREX server, when submitting search to TREX outside portal?

Regards

Edmond

former_member188556
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Edmond

http://xxx/irj/go/km/prteventname/HtmlbEvent/prtroot/pcd!3aportal_content!2fevery_user!2fgeneral!2feu_role!2fcom.sap.km.home_ws!2fcom.sap.km.hidden!2fcom.sap.km.urlaccess!2fcom.sap.km.basicsearch
?SearchType=ctrlpers
&queryString=edmond
&SelectedSearchIn=FROM_HERE
&SelectedSearchFolder=/intranet
&SelectedSearchFromHere=/intranet
&StartUri=/intranet

Check this url

The url should be the Portal URL.

Regards

BP

former_member245887
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

If I construct that URL and paste it in the address field of a browser and submit the request, I get the search screen with an empty search field, no result list.

Is that the expected behaviour?

Kind Regards

Edmond

former_member188556
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

http://xxx/irj/go/km/prteventname/HtmlbEvent/prtroot/pcd!3aportal_content!2fevery_user
!2fgeneral!2feu_role!2fcom.sap.km.home_ws!2fcom.sap.km.hidden!2fcom.sap.km.urlaccess
!2fcom.sap.km.basicsearch
?SearchType=ctrlpers
&QueryString=edmond
&SelectedSearchIn=FROM_HERE
&SelectedSearchFolder=/intranet
&SelectedSearchFromHere=/intranet
&StartUri=/intranet
&SearchVisible=true

Edmond,

we have given "edmond" as the query string and searching in the folder "/intranet"and also now Search Visible as true.

I dont think u need that because of ur requirement

Check these threads also

Regards

BP

Edited by: Bobu George Putheeckal on Oct 24, 2008 6:02 PM

former_member245887
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks, it works!

Kind Regards

Edmond

former_member245887
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

1 additional question: our portal does not allow anonymous access. If I use the URL, portal asks me to authenticate if I'm not already logged in.

Is there a way (e.g. parameters?) to automatically log on to portal with a search user?

Kind Regards

Edmond

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Edmond,

You are right! You can either use the Standard TREX search functionality provided within the SAP Portal or use the TREX API to build the search on non-SAP portals. I guess you have only these options...

Regards,

Sarvanan.