cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when to use Business View manager and when to use direct crystal rpt?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I need to develop crystal reports from various databases.

I can do this in 2 approaches:

1. Through Business View manager, develop a BV and then develop a crystal report from that.

2. Direct from Crystal report client, i can connect to databse and can generate the report.

Please suggest me, which approach to be followed and what circumstances?

Thanks,

Sriram

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sriram,

When you are using different databases like Siebel and BSCS. then It is better to use crystal designer to generate reports where you only need to create the connection for the database.

Where as in Business view manager you have to create different data connections and data foundations.

So, it is better to go with Designer to generate reports.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Naveen.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Sriram,

It is better to use crystal reports Enterprise to schedule the reports into excel formats depending on your requirement schedule the reports daily, weekly or monthly.

Where you have to publish your crystal reports to Enterprise and scheduled them to the required users.

Where you can develope the reports using crystal designer rather than business views.

Here performance also matters but depends on which type of data source you use.

This will help you out.

Regards,

Naveen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naveen,

We are using databases viz, Siebel and BSCS. Please advise whether to use business view manager or crystal designer to develop 'crystal reports' (around 400 rpts) in terms of performance....

Thanks,

Sriram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am providing a comparison scenario and leave the decision making to you:

Business View Manager:

1)Business view manager(BVM) comes shipped with the BO Enteprise suit and provides a complete business architecture of the data to be represented.

2)BVM helps in arranging data in the form of hierarchy(data connection,datafoundation,business element,business view and list of values)

3)It helps to integrate data from disparate sources thus taking care of the differences in data resolution,coverage and structure between collection methods.

4)A business view can be exported in xml format and deployed across environments which enables easy deployment and configuration.

5) The most important point about BV is that once the strcture is ready then users can reports off using various available client tools like web intelligence reporting,desk intelligence reporting and universe creation.

Crystal Reports:

1)This is a client tool used to develope reports using various datasources.

2)It is quite easy to create reports off a specific database.User can also report off multiple datasources/databases within crystal reports.

3)Once the reports are created in the client tool they can be promoted to the Enterprise and further operation could be done from there as per requirement(like scheduling,exporting,sending the reort to multiple users via e-mails and so on).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your valuable inputs.

I would like to have a suggestion from you.

In our project, we have around 400 operational reports which need to access databases(real time and trial version (replica of real time with latency of refresh period data)) directly. We need to access 3 data bases.

And all our reports are to be scheduled and sent to the users in excel in a frequency of daily, weekly and monthly.

Above said is the requirement in our project.

Please suggest, in the abive scenario should direct crystal reports is better or crystal reports through business view manager is better? I mean by performance and maintaince... please help in advise..

Thanks,

Sriram

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am assuming that you will be using only crystal reports client tool to create reports(and not webi, deski or universe creation).

So, would suggest you to report off the databases directly.The scheduling part could be taken care of at the BO Enterprise once the developers promote the reports to Enterprise from the client.

Thanks