Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to release batch jobs created by other user?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Friends,

Here is my scenario:

- I have end users without S_BTCH_JOB authorization object - RELE value. So, end users can only schedule a job.

- To release a job, users need to fill out a form and submit to super user.

- Super user requires S_BTCH_ADM authorization object- Y value.

- But the problem is, with above authorization object Super user can release every end users' jobs.

- Is there a way that Super user from Finance can release jobs created by end users' from Finance? I mean, I would like to restrict job release functionality based on job name/department.

Could you pls guide me how could I achieve it?

Thanks...

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

To my knowledge, there is no way of doing this and this authorization does exactly that which it is designed to do.

The "job name" field does not actually do anything when S_BTCH_JOB "job_action" is over-ridden by S_BTCH_ADM.

They are batch job administrators now, so they can release any job in the system, also in any client.

My recommendation: Train your batch-job administartors well.

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

S_BTCH_ADM authorizes a super user to manage background processing (menu path Tools -> Administration -> Jobs -> Job overview).

An administrator with this authorization can:

Access background jobs in all clients of an SAP system. In the overview, the system displays all background jobs throughout the system.

Without this authorization, users can only work on background jobs in the clients in which they are logged on.

However, if you want to allow super users to release only the specific jobs, than you have to define the jobs naming convention for all the jobs. For e.g. if you want FI SUper users to release only FI specific jobs, than define all FI related jobs starting with FI_*.

USing S_BTCH_JOB authorization object, restrict the users with FI_* in the JOBGROUP field and provide RELE activity. In this way, you can do the restriction as you requested.

REgards

Anandm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Julius and Anand for your quick response.

Anand: As Julius said, JOBGROUP field name in S_BTCH_JOB object has no meaning. SAP documents suggest to enter *. Even, trace does not check anything when Super user tries to release a job for end users. It gives error message saying 'You can only changeyour own jobs.'

Before posting on SDN, I did try to use naming convention in job and enter names in Super admin's role for JOBGROUP field in S_BTCH_JOB, but still, Super user can not release the job. It requires S_BTCH_ADM authorization object with value 'Y'.

Any other suggestion/ways?

Thanks...

Edited by: mehta1p on Oct 19, 2008 10:09 PM

0 Kudos

As I mentioned before, your best initial option is to train your batch job administrators. User admins need to be well trained as well, etc. Choose them carefully.

If it is a hard requirement, then next best is to create a variant transaction of your own for those admins but it is not bullet proof. (search for term "SHDO")

Another option is to use BAPIs instead of batch input and give the end user access to tcode SMX only (use the search term "qRFC" for example).

Cheers,

Julius