cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP MDM Hiearchy Concept in depth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want to discuss the SAP MDM Hierarchy Table concept.

In Hierarchy we can add non-unique name to Internal nodes provided they are not child nodes.

It is wrriten Merging and Partition can be done in Hierarchy tables. But it possible to do Merging and Partition in Taxonomy table which is a type of hierarchy.

Partition can be done on any node by linked attribute if that attribute has multiple values. Merge can be done on a child node with a parent node which is not direct parent to the child.

This is also applied to Taxonomy table only.

Hierarchies can be imported by Import Manager but the destination table be Hierarchy and there should be a lookup Hiearchy field in main table corresponding to the Hierarchy table.

The Hierarchies from the source is usually added in value conversion and mapping step.

I didn't get the meaning of this line; "When a grid contains a hierarchy column, none of its columns are sortable. However, the hierarchy column is automatically treated as the sorted column for type-ahead seek purposes, allowing you to use type-ahead seek on it".

My understanding: Any Hierarchy column in main table is not sortable. I don't get the meaning of type-ahead-seek.

Regards

Kaushik Banerjee

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kaushik,

In simple terms hierarchy is sorted automatically because when we create a hierarchy we only define the sorting of it.

Example:

Automobile

-

Cars

-

Bikes

-

Trucks

Now the above hierarchy starts with Automobile as a Parent having 3 children. There must be some logic we have applied in sorting i.e. why we have kept the order Cars, Bikes and Trucks.

Thats why it is said that hierarchy is automatically treated as sortable.

In addtion say if hierarchy has only one Parent and three children as the above one and we can also create lookup instead of hierarchy but still we stick on hierarchy because we want to preserve an order of nodes.

Try to understand the concept and dont stress much on words.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jitesh,

I got it.

The Sorting is defined when the Hierarchy is defined.

It is not alphabetically sorting by name.

Regards

Kaushik Banerjee

Answers (0)