cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returnable packaging

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts!

I need a workround for packaging.As You know there are returnable packaging which comes with goods but can be returned by customers to the company (for drinks example).

These can be bottles,box,pallets and I must store in Item Master Data these packaging information.

But when I sell this item then according to the packaging info these returnable packaging items should leave automatically the warehouse because the company would like to know these packaging stock also.

How do You solve this situation ?

Thank you in advance!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eszter,

The solution for your case depend on how you can track your returned packages.

Sending out is always easy because it is not difficult to put those items in the delivery note without added cost. Suda' solution is very good.

I assume you have established the returning process already. In that case, a good receipt is necessary whenever you get back those packages to make your inventory on hand accurate.

You have to set these items as inventory items.

Thanks,

Gordon

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Eszter,

There are a few criteria's to consider before planning the solution..

Is the packaging maintained with a value in the system..

Are they maintained in a seperate warehouse..

You can consider adding the packing in the Delivery as a line item but hide it in the Print layout?

OR

You can define a BOM of the Bottles / the item and include the packaging item as a component

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suda!

The main goal are the following:when a delivery is made then sap should know that how many package goes with the item together, the printed document contain on the last page only the packaging summary out and package returning.

When the spediteur come back then he brings back the returnable packaging and the company would like to know its stock situation.

Do you know the only way is BOM?

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Unless there is a place where the information about how many packages are involved with an Item is stored and added in the delivery there is not going to be a way for the system to know what went out.

The system only understands what you configured it as. One suggession is that you create a workflow so that at the end of the day you run a report on the total packaging that went out that day and move it from one warehouse to another (designated for the customers)

As I understand you are needing this purely fot tracking purposes and there are many way to do it depending on the acceptability of the effort to get it done.

Let me know how you anticipate for this to work and I could tell you if it is possible or not

best wishes

Suda

Former Member
0 Kudos

So, the main goal is the following:

We have 12 item , these are bottles, so i create a udf in oitm for these packaging which goes together with items (lets call pack1), another for the quantity which is 1 in this case.There is another package which contains these bottles,lets call pack2, and its quantity is 12.

When i sell 120 bottles then pack 1 quantity is 120, pack2 is 10.In the invoice these 2 lines should appear somehow...

These packagings (pack1+pack2) have stock and stock value.

When these packagings returns then pack1 can return 1 or 120 ,pack2 1 or 12.

Any idea for the best smooth and userfriendly solution?

Former Member
0 Kudos

The simple solution is not by UDF only. You have to create inventory items to track their stock status. Since all packages are returnable, you may not need to include them in every deliveries. If you do, you have to use either Goods Return or Goods Receipt PO to put them back to inventory when you receive them back.

An alternative is to input the difference between packaging quantity out and in daily so that you can have a good picture of the current status.

Thanks,

Gordon

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is really a complex issue, because you have to consider who owns the packaging materials when you send them out. Are you actually selling them to the customer and giving up ownership? Or do you retain ownership and keep the value on your books? If you still own these materials, then you should not include them on a delivery (you can include text lines that record the fact that they are sent with the purchased items). You should probably create a warehouse for the returnable packages, and transfer them to that warehouse when they are shipped out. You could use UDF's on the transfer to indicate the customer they were sent to, the sales order or delivery number, etc. This way you would be able to track these items to be sure they are returned, and you would be able to account for their value on your balance sheet.

You can use SDK to automate this process, since it would be rather cumbersome to do manually with every delivery.

Marcia

Former Member
0 Kudos

I sell these returnable packaging to the customer, The customer owns it, but when next time when I deliver him , he can send it back, and I make a Credit memo for these packaging.

I think only SDK could help,so Im about to plan...Thank you.!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Based on your last post, I believe you don't need SDK to solve your problem. Since those packaging is no big difference with other items in term of business process, you just need some careful designed BOM to handle.

Thanks,

Gordon

Former Member
0 Kudos

When I define BOM, then every item will be duplicated, so i think it makes the dataentry harder when searching items example for itemnames.

I have solved it with SDK simply.

Thank you for your helping.

Edited by: Rui Pereira on Apr 28, 2009 2:11 PM