cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM Cannot be changed, open work orders were found

Former Member

Hi,

We created several Assembly BOM's back in 2005A. We have since upgraded to 2007A and would like to change these BOM's to Sales type. Currently there are no open sales orders for these BOM items.

When I try to change the type and update, I get the error, "BOM Cannot be changed, open work orders were found." I assume this is referring the the old terminology for production orders (for which there is also nothing currently open). Is it possible to change the BOM type?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Allen,

Kindly go through the Note no 974631. This delas with this error message.

Regards,

Varun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gordon,

We have actually never posted any production orders. So, not suprisingly, running 'Select * from OWOR T0' does not return any results.

Hi Varun,

Even running the query mentioned in the SAP note does not retrieve any results. Yet I am still unable to change the BOM type. Any other ideas?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Another possiblity could be locked by Sales Order. Even though you have no open orders, you may have closed order locked them up. Check the RDR1 table by:

Select * from RDR1 T0 Where T0.ItemCode = '[%0\]'

If you can not find this item used anywhere, it could be a bug. Log to SAP support will be your only choice then.

Thanks,

Gordon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gordon,

There are closed sales orders for these items. Even if these are completely closed, would this prevent the BOMs from being updated?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes. Eventhough the order was closed, its history remains. To keep history consistent, the limitation is meaningful. You may have to create new BOMs, unfortunitely.

Thanks and good luck,

Gordon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Fortunately for us (maybe), we only have about 3 months of history for these parts. What would you recommend is the best way to go about managing the old BOMs after the new ones are created?

The first thing that comes to mind is making them inactive from the item master, and then changing the item description so end users are not confused by duplicate items when choosing from any item list. I believe doing so will not affect the descriptions in any previously posted documents. Any other suggestions on how to keep the records as clean as possible?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Your first idea is good enough. The options are not too many since you can not delete the items or BOMs if they have history. The only option left is changing something in order no user could mistakenly use it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks once again for your help, Gordon!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Allen,

The error message means you need to query OWOR table to fund any work orders associated with those items.

You can use very simple query as:

Select * from OWOR T0 Where T0.ItemCode = '[%0\]'

You have to cancel those order in order to change BOM type.

Thanks,

Gordon