cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusion about posting, due, doc date

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello there,

I am very confused by dates used in SBO documents, could anyone please explain for me?

For example,

We receive an invoice from supplier, which is dated on 1st Oct. And then we input it into SAP on 5th Oct.

Based on the payment term, say 30 days, we should pay it by the 4th of Nov (1st Oct +30 days).

So ...

Which is posting date, due date and document date?

As I believe, posting date is 05/10 (as we posted it), due date is 04/11 (when the invoice is due), document date is 01/10 (as the date is on the document). Is that wrong?

If I am right, then

why is that most of reports don't show "document date" but only posting date and due date, such as BP balance, bank reconciliation.

Another example is Cash discount defination, it uses "Days After Posting Date" to calculate discount ...

Hopefully, I am not wrong ...

Edited by: Y on Oct 17, 2008 5:36 PM

Edited by: Y on Oct 17, 2008 5:36 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the replies.

Yes, I had seen that threat before posting this one.

Unfortunately, I have no access to those documentation of the links as a customer S-user.

And our SAP reseller doesn't want to provide with those documents ...

What a shame! So can someone please help?

Thank you very much indeed.

jitin_chawla
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

you can try to download from this link:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/SBO_Knowledge_Village/

This link is mentioned in the thread referred by Gordon.

Check if you can get the document from that link.

Regards,

Jitin

Former Member
0 Kudos

My suggestion: you can run a query against OPCH for all date fields to see which is which.

Therer are DocDate, DocDueDate, TaxDate as well as

ReqDate and CancelDate, UpdateDate and CreateDate

That is not all. You just need the first three I believe.

Thanks,

Gordon

K_Pauquet
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Y,

here are some perinent excerpts from the EES:

Posting Date:

Date that determines in which u2018Posting Periodu2019 a document or journal entry is added to the database.

Due Date:

Date that determines when the transaction documented becomes financially significant.

Document Date:

Date that indicates when the shipment of goods takes place.

Example:

Our company sells fruit.

1.) We receive an order & take an apple out of our warehouse to ship to our customer. This date is the u2018Document Dateu2019.

2.) Our customer receives the apple & now accepts liability for the payment. This is the u2018Posting Dateu2019.

3.) We send the customer an invoice where we specify the date when payment for the apple is expected. This is the u2018Due Dateu2019.

I would recommend you speak with the partner, all this info is freely available to all partners.

All the best,

kerstin

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We recommend posting date as the date of the invoice from the supplier, as this will be used as the tax date for tax reporting, but you can use either. It will depend on tax rules in your localisation and your business processes how you want to record it. Generally it will make little difference ulnless you go over the end of a posting period - which period do you want the docuemnt to be recorded as an expense in?

You can set the payment terms to calculate the due date based on either the posting or the document date.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please check this thread:

Thanks,

Gordon

K_Pauquet
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Y,

please see our expert empowerment session:

Da[Dates In SAP Business One 2005 A|http://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700000323202008E.zip]

All the best,

Kerstin