Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why seperate DMS server is used

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi, all,

this is benakarajes hey i have some clarification,

in DMS implementation,

a] why the separate DMS server[content server]installed.

b] is this mandatory to install separete server for DMS.

rdgs

ben

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

generally it is recommended to use one content server per system. So it should not be that there is one content server for two or three of your systems.

The main reason is that in such a scenario it would be possible that document which are attached in system A could be edited, corrupted or deleted by mistake in system B. The user in system B must not know what effect a deletion of an original will have in the second system and so there could be a lot of inconsistencies.

Generally it is not mandatory to have seperate content server but from SAP DMS point of view I can only recommend it.

Best regards,

Christoph

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi, christoph

thanks, ur replay,

ur always given exact slotions.

in this i have little confusion, if u have time please ans me in details

rgds

ben

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have look on link below

https://service.sap.com/Kpro

Check FAQ under this section

https://service.sap.com/ContentServer

Thanks

Rajeev

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi, monoj thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

when further trying to conclude the architecture for content servers, the linked documentation in this thread doesn't refer to any feature in the application architecture to speak on behalf of using several content servers for one SAP system.

Can you think of application or process related reasons or benefits when using separate content servers for e.g. Engineering documents and "other" documents?

How about infrastructural reasons (excluding the sizing and network connectivity related), would there be a benefit for the infra or DB management knowing that one platform contains e.g. Engineering documents and another one"other" documents?

Thanks

LK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

DMS sizing (content server sizing) is an extra space provided to DMS documents apart from standard SAP Database storage.

this storage is mainly preferred where large amount of files (documents) need to be stored.

If standard SAP database is used then this will lead load on ECC server.

in order to avoid this, DMS content server is used.

Attributes considered are,

1) size of the content server depending upon the volume of documents in terms of word/excel/autocad etc per year and for projected 3-4 years.

2) depending upon the size of the content server estimated in 1, selection of hardware is required.

3) the platform on which this content server would be installed, it may be maxdb, 2003 server or unix etc.

hope this helps U..!

Thank You,

Manoj

award if useful..!