Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to parse the entries from the Fixed format flat file?.

Neslinn
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I need to parse the entries from an input text file format of Fixed Format. How can i split the entries?. If possible, explain wht fixed format means?

Thanks,

Neslin.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MarcinPciak
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Fixed format means you know how many characters stand for particular data. The customer has to deliver you the format which he uses. i.e you have such entry

50002231100003344X10172008

First 8 char stand for pernr - 50002231

Next 10 char stand for Cost Center - 100003344

Another 1 char is a flag for something - X

The rest 8 chars stand for a date - 10172008

It is always up to customer what fixed format he/she uses.They must told you how to interpret the data inside the file (how many chars are used for certain data element)

To read the file create a table with string line, then read the file to it, and parse each line depending on the format (requirement) it was delivered to you. That's all.

2 REPLIES 2

MarcinPciak
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Fixed format means you know how many characters stand for particular data. The customer has to deliver you the format which he uses. i.e you have such entry

50002231100003344X10172008

First 8 char stand for pernr - 50002231

Next 10 char stand for Cost Center - 100003344

Another 1 char is a flag for something - X

The rest 8 chars stand for a date - 10172008

It is always up to customer what fixed format he/she uses.They must told you how to interpret the data inside the file (how many chars are used for certain data element)

To read the file create a table with string line, then read the file to it, and parse each line depending on the format (requirement) it was delivered to you. That's all.

0 Kudos

Thanks,got it.On the basis of offset and field length.

Neslin.