cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleanup of Master Data

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus:

What is the best method to clean up old & unused master data to improve performance.

Is there a way to know if a particular master data say Vendor 0000012345 is being used in which Cubes & Aggregates.

Your suggestions & help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi MK,

In RSA1, you can right click an InfoObject and select Delete Master Data. The system will prompt you whether the SIDs should be deleted as well or not. You can read the Info on this screen for more details. The system will no tbe able to delete all the master data. It cannot delete the values that are being used in transactional data. You can then look up the Logs with object RSDMD, sub-object MD_DEL for details about usage of the master data.

Hope this helps...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhanu:

I'm always little scared of deleting data

So you mean if the Master Data is not being used say in Dev, it will go ahead & delete those Master records & create a log of it...Please suggest

Thanks

edwin_harpino
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi MK K,

don't worry, as mentioned, only unused master data will be deleted with rsa1->infoobjects->infoobject master data->delete master data.

hope this helps.

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi MK,

The system really cannot delete the master data values being used...only unused values are deleted. Try it in your Dev or sandbox system if you like...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhanu & AHP

I guess to play safe, I need to backup the whole infoobject right. I guess I have to save as CSV file or request basis guys for bkup...

Because logically a master data that has been created in production, may be used in a week or two weeks. So it should not be deleted frankly right..

<b>Is there a way to selectively delete old master data based on logic of dates</b> ?

edwin_harpino
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi MK K,

it's good to play safe

where does your master data come from ? r/3 or flat file ? you can always load again from r/3 or flat file(you keep the flat file source).

it's always suggested to load master data first, however in infopackage there is option for 'update even no master data exist ....'-for transaction upload, this will create records in master data, but without text and attribute. you can always upload master data to update again the text and attribute later(for attribute you must do attribute/hierarchy change run).

as far as i know there is no selective master data delete based on dates in terms of the master data keep a timestamp for last change. (unless time-dependent master data that have valid from date and valid to date).

hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks A.H.P

The data will come from R/3.

Have a nice evening

Former Member
0 Kudos

MK

Did your problem resolved. I had to catch the flight in the evening, that's the reason I left and was't there in the thread. Please post if you have further questions.

Thanks

Sat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for asking Sat...

I have not yet started working onit. Will let you know once I'm done.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear A.H.P:

We r using the following options in 'RSDMD_DEL_MASTER_DATA'

CALL FUNCTION 'RSDMD_DEL_MASTER_DATA'

EXPORTING

I_IOBJNM = zobjnm

• I_FLG_DELETE_ALL = ' '

I_FLG_DELETE_SIDS = 'X'

• I_FLG_DELETE_SIDS_ASK = ' '

I_FLG_DELETE_TEXTS = 'X'

I_T_CHAVL = zchavl

I_FLG_DIALOG = ' '

I_FLG_FORCE_DELETE = 'X'

I_FLG_SIMULATION = ' '

• I_WITHOUT_PROTOCOL = ' '

Its NOT working properly. What do u suggest to fix the problem...

Thanks a lot in advance...Best Regards

FYI : we r trying to delete unused master data. There r 9 million records currently & we have to start deleting unused ones

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhanu:

The infoobject that we want to clean up has <b>8-9 million</b> records...

So, do u think I can do this thru BATCH & how much time do you think it may take....Please suggest as this is a high priority work...

Any suggestions will be really appreciated. Waiting eagerly for your reply...

Thanks & Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear A.H.P

The infoobject that we want to clean up has 8-9 million records...

So, do u think I can do this thru BATCH & how much time do you think it may take....Please suggest as this is a high priority work...

Any suggestions will be really appreciated. Waiting eagerly for your reply...

Thanks & Regards

edwin_harpino
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

dear MK K,

try create program (se38) and schedule in background,

remark * I_T_CHAVL =, i haven't fix the code if i_t_chavl used, but tested the program done well.

hope this helps.

REPORT Z_DEL_MASTER.

tables : RSDIOBJ.

select-options:

s_iobj for RSDIOBJ-IOBJNM.

start-of-selection.

loop at s_iobj.

call function 'RSDMD_DEL_MASTER_DATA'

exporting

I_IOBJNM = s_iobj-low

I_FLG_DELETE_ALL = 'X'

I_FLG_DELETE_SIDS = 'X'

• I_FLG_DELETE_SIDS_ASK

I_FLG_DELETE_TEXTS = 'X'

• I_T_CHAVL =

I_FLG_DIALOG = ''

I_FLG_FORCE_DELETE = 'X'.

• I_FLG_SIMULATION = ''

• I_WITHOUT_PROTOCOL = ''

endloop.

• there is sap program RSDMD_DEL_MASTER_DATA_TEXTS, i haven't test

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear A.H.P:

THANKS A LOT for your help & reply...

so S_IOBJ is the info object whose master data has to be deleted right...it seems when I run/schedule the program it will prompt me for object name ...that's pretty much right...

FYI - I don't have access to create pgm at the client place. I will try getting one. The code I mentioned was done by ABAP guys...

Best Regards

edwin_harpino
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi MK K,

yes, you are right, s_iobj is the infoobject(s)' master data to be deleted. yes, the program will ask for infoobject(s), you can have more than one infoobject to be deleted, after run the program and click the dropdown then you can type in more than one infoobject, then click 'save', it will be saved as 'variant'. use this selection to run in background. you can run in backgoround from se38 or schedule with sm36.

hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear A.H.P

My client wants a range of data to be given as input for deletion.

Any suggestions?

Thanks & Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

MK

To Improve Performance

make sure you clen up your PSA either Master Data or Transaction data once in 10 days. This is recommanded.

Generally we won't clean up any data from objects in Production system except PSA. The best way is to do Archiving for old Data so that we won't loose any data and we can always retreve back Archived Data when ever we need.

Hope I answered your question.

Thnaks

sat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sat & Bhanu:

I have been assigned high priority work to clean up old & unused Master Data in PRODUCTION.

Ofcourse, I will start testing in Dev & then...

Please suggest the best method based on your experience. ABAP Rountine is one way I guess

Thanks & Regards