Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade project

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am very new for this upgrade project. Can u please Guide me

1. "how an upgrade project starts"?

2.how do u identify the objects list to work on upgrade work?

3.what do we do in smartforms? during upgrade?

4.how do we find the outdated function modules or alternate function modules?

5.what is unicode?why do we need it?

6.what is the approach for unicode?

Thank in Advance.

Regards,

Anki Reddy.N

3 REPLIES 3

former_member299080
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. "how an upgrade project starts"?

I think you can start reading the upgrade guide relevant for your release. You can find it at service.sap.com/instguides.

2.how do u identify the objects list to work on upgrade work?

The upgrade guide will tell you.

3.what do we do in smartforms? during upgrade?

I don't know, but probably there is some document explaining this in the Service MarketPlace or in help.sap.com or in the upgrade guide.

4.how do we find the outdated function modules or alternate function modules?

I'm looking for this information and I'll reply later.

5.what is unicode?why do we need it?

Unicode is the way you can use multiple languages in the same system. Sooner or later you'll need to convert the system to Unicode, therefore do it as soon as you can, because it will reduce your efforts maintaining the system. Also, there are some scenarios that are not supported with the system isn't Unicode, like the Java stack for example.

6.what is the approach for unicode?

Check the conversion guides in service.sap.com/unicode@sap (you'll find the link in your right hand menu). They are the official documentation for Unicode.

There is a good SDN Wiki page with Best Pactices for Unicode. It is worthwhile to read.

Marco

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reddy,

i can answer some of your questions.

5.what is unicode.why do we need it

ans:here are few points about unicode environment.

a Unicode sap system

enables you to harness internet technologies better.

allows better integration with non-sap products and seamless integration with existing sap systems.

offers a superior platform for collaborative, cross-system business applications.

all languages and language combinations in the world!

allows you to install a central system for worldwide business processes, e.g. to gather and store aggregate customer data.

enables you to optimize your system landscape and reduce your costs.

Unicode provides the solution to the problem of multiple, possibly incompatible code pages:

Unicode currently defines over 98,000 characters, with room for over 1 million characters.

Unicode defines each character only once

Unicode can be used for the system code page, front end, and printing

In a Unicode SAP system you can display and maintain character data from any language with any logon language. For example, you can logon to your system in Japanese and maintain Russian data.

The size and scope of Unicode have made it the default character encoding of the Internet communication, such as XML, Java, and HTML, because Internet communication has to function no matter what the platform, no matter what the program, no matter what the language.

Will my abap programs work in a Unicode system

Most programs should work without any modification, but you need to ensure that all programs comply with the stricter abap 6.10 syntax and semantics, which improve program efficiency and enable Unicode support. Note that all programs must be 6.10 compliant to run in a Unicode system and 6.10 compliant programs will also run in a non-Unicode system as well. In a non-Unicode system, programs do not have to be 6.10 compliant.

To check your program, use the transaction uccheck to determine if your programs are abap 6.10compliant; In additional, programs should be tested to catch non-static errors that appear at run-time. Use the transaction SCOV to monitor the testing. See the Media Library for more information, as well as the abap documentation.

rfc communication between a Unicode and non-Unicode system requires a code page conversion between Unicode and the code page used by the rfc communication partner. In an mdmp system, the language keys and the corresponding code page are evaluated line-by-line to ensure that the correct conversion takes place. If a character can not be converted, a hash mark is the replacement character.

6.what is the approach for unicode

ans:

steps:

go to the program attributes.

check the box unicode check active in order to make ur program unicode compatible & activate the program.

go to transaction uccheck & give the program name and execute.

all the error under unicode environment are shown.

4.how do we find the outdated function modules or alternate function modules

ans:To get the list of obsolete Function Modules in an ecc system.

Steps:

1. Goto SE16 Enter the table name RODIR and press Table Contents (F7)

2. Enter the object type as FUNC and the obsolete field as X.

3. Press EXECUTE.

Then you will get the list of obsolete function modules in ECC6.0

The obtained list is the obsolete function modules in sap system you are working

3.what do we do in smartforms during upgrade

ans:syntax check

execute the smartform.one function module will get generated.do epc & syntax check for that.

2.how do u identify the objects list to work on upgrade work

ans:This is part of assesment we do.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the giving information.

Regards,

Anki.