Please give me some first hints - missing the big picture...
since yesterday I try to get started with CrystalReports and can´t get an overview if our requirements can be fulfilled at all with this tool. For my terms, compared with e.g. "List & Label", the web-documentation of CR is far from being customer-friendly. There is an overflow of redundancies and nearly everything I have found is really heavy-headed. But now I´m here...
I hope that you are able to help me a bit.
We are creating a multi-language WPF-Application which shall enable the customer to either print out prepared reports (by providing some parameters) or to change prepared reports using a Reports-Designer.
1) What is the difference between the "Crystal Reports" designer and the "Universe-Designer"?
2) Is it allowed to distribute the designer with our application without any fees?
3) Is it possible to pre-configure the designer and to start it from our application?
4) Would it then also be possible to add own WPF-content into the designer which the user can use as normal design-object, which is configurable in a custom-way?
5) Would it be possible that the user creates Labels with pre-defined keys instead of text in the designer, which will be rendered to a translated text by our application when the report is created?
6) Are there any good code-examples which could be interesting for me? I was only able to find unsuitable sample-projects for VS2002 and VS2003 (?!?!?!) which failed after conversion.
Thanks in advance!
Jason Everly replied
You may be able to launch the crw32.exe from your app, but it will not be embedded or controled by the application in any way. Once launched it will the same as if they launched CR themselves. Note that a valid licensed install of Crystal Reports would need to be installed on each users desktop as well as this would need to be a windows application that you are using to launch Crystal (it may be possible to launch an exe from a web app, but I dont know how).
If you are looking to design reports in your application you can, but you would need to do all the work via code (ie design your own front end GUI for report design). There is no embeddable designer for .NET like there was for the RDC in COM.
Edited by: Jason Everly on Oct 20, 2008 12:28 PM