cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Group one way, graph another?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

I can't believe I haven't run into this before! So I feel like a bit of a n00b asking, even though it seems so simple.

I want to be able to:

Group my data, many layers thick: Region -> country -> account manager -> company

AND at the top of the report, I want to show a running total of (for ease of argument let's say) sales grouped by the date that the sale happend in a line chart, for trending purposes.

Can I group my data one way, but graph it another? Or do I have to create a sub-report, and pull the whole dataset twice?

I suspect I know the answer, but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ryan,

Where exactly you want to place the chart in the report in group headers or in report header?

If you are placing in group header then it is better to go with subreport if you want to group on seperate field.

if you are placing it in report header then you can change the fields in advanced tab and create the chart.

Regards,

Raghavendra.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I want the graph to appear in the report headder.

The problem is that the line graphs are based on running totals fields. So, if I change the grouping structure of the detail sections, the running total field values change, and the graph goes wonky. Then again, I never use running total fields, because I don't trust them, so I don't have the greatest level of experience with them... perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

I've got a partial solution... I'm using a cross tab to show the 'grouping' summarization, and supressing the detail records which have been grouped the way I need them for the graph.

It raises another question...

A user in my DB has two associated dates. 1) create date and 2) registered date.

I would like to do a comparison between the two. I'm showing a running total of registered users, at the moment, but I would like to show a running total of ALL users as well as a seperate series. However, because I'm using running totals, and the data is grouped by registration date... I can't get it to work.