cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WPC Site and Detailed Navigation

Former Member
0 Kudos

All,

I have a situation where a single page within a WPC based site is to not contain the detailed Navigation. It should collapse it to the side and not be visible on this Site landing page.

I have not found a way to accomplish this. Am I missing something, or is this feature unavailable. Is it possible to hook a WPC page into a Page such that it works, or perhaps using an iView which contains the Initial State of the Nav Panel to Always Closed?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mike -

If you look at the documentation, you will see that you have two ways of implementing "navigation" with wpc pages.

One way ([http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/45/599b78b0aa3bdde10000000a1553f7/frameset.htm]) is to use the navigation.wpc file with nodes, then put the link of the navigation file in the external connector parameter (with "wpcnavigation://" tacked onto the beginning).

The second way is utilize a wpc iview. From that iview, you should be able to use the "Initial State of the Detailed Panel" property and set that value to collapsed.

I am having trouble finding the help documentation for this second way, but I have the old ramp up documentation which says...

To integrate an individual Web page into the portal navigation of user roles, create an iView that references the Web page in question, and then integrate the iView into the navigation structure in the Portal Content Studio.

This might make sense if you want to display Web pages and portal pages on the same level of a navigation structure.

Procedure Restrictions

With this procedure, you have to create an iView manually for each individual Web page.

When you call the pages from the search results list, the system displays them without the navigation structure.

Prerequisites

You are assigned to the content administrator role.

Procedure

1. In the Web Page Composer, navigate to the Web page that you want to integrate into the portal navigation.

2. To copy the path to the Web page to the clipboard, choose Copy Path from the context menu for the Web page.

3. Choose Content Administration u2192 Portal Content.

4. Choose New u2192 iView from the context menu of a folder.

5. Choose Portal Component as the source type.

6. Choose the com.sap.nw.wpc.runtime portal archive. On the next screen to appear, choose default.

7. Once you have created the iView, choose the Web Page Composer category in the property editor.

8. In the RID of Compound Document property, enter the path to the KM folder representing the Web page.

Example: /wpccontent/Sites/MyWebSite/Web Pages/MyWebPage

You can paste this path from the clipboard.

9. Open the workset or role that you created when you carried out the initial configuration.

10. To add the iView to the workset or role, choose Add iView to Workset/Role u2192 Deltalink from the context menu of the iView.

Another procedure allows you to integrate the entire navigation structure of a Web site into the portal navigation structure. The restrictions mentioned above do not apply if you follow the other procedure.

More information: Integrating Web Sites in the Portal Navigation of User Roles.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tried the answer, it didn't work.

Sounds like there is no solution for this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Actually the description of Eric works perfectly. I am doing it this way also myself.

These steps enable you to create single iViews and visualizie single Web Pages with them.

(Note: If you use this approach, it is unlikely, that you still use the Site Navigation Feature!)

If this doesn't fit your needs, you need to clarify your requirements. As i read this thread at first, i thought Erics answer should be perfect for you.

Best Regards,

Marcus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Marcus - Just curious...

Have you used either navigation method exclusively?

We are using probably 99% navigation.wpc.

This makes it easier for Authors (trained of course) to add their own content (don;t have to give them content admin role); however, this make activity reporting more cumbersome.

We basically have to combine results from the portal activity report with the kmcactivity log files.

I posted a "poll" on this forum soliticiting feedback, but no one ever responded.

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry, I completely misunderstood the answer the first time. We've got someone here who knows WPC much better this week and he explained the answer to me. We tried it and it worked.

Couldn't find this method documented...clearly a better method is to just use the external connector, but on these edge cases it's nice to have an alternative.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mike,

I've already worked with WPC and to show links in Detailed Navigation we just configured one role with its corresponding workset.

You need to set up entry point to yes in your role and workset then your role will appear in TLN first level, workset in TLN second Level and your page (inside your workset) will appear in Detailed Navigation.

Hope it helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

bump

Former Member
0 Kudos

certainly at SP13 the answer is no - there are a lot of things you cant do - collapse (or otherwise) the nav, make invisible in navigation etc etc ....

We had to do a bespoke implementation to mimic normal iview / page functionality.

Haydn