cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change material nomenclature

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I need to change the nomenclature for a material that already exist. But first i want to know the Consequently of do it and what is the transaction for change it.

Thanks in advance.

best regards

Juan.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Normally you can use MM02 to make any changes in the Material Master but i wanted to know whether you want to change the material number or you want to change the description of the material.

Regards

Anoop

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anoop, i need to change the material number from a material.

but i don´t know if it could make problems with the documents related with the material.

thanks

former_member581212
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

Its not possible to change the material number once created...

If the material is totally raw..ie. if you don't have any doc. for the same..the can change the number for external or internal...

USE MMNR, click on Group button and right click on mouse.

, insert group, Enter Text for Material type and Enter interval from number to To number and press enter.

MATERIAL NUMBER RANGE:

can use enhancements MGA00002 & MGA00003 on Material Number Ranges...

Hope it helps..

Regards

Priyanka.P

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,

One more thing there is not point thinking about the consequence of changing the number as i guess it will be very difficult to change if at all you can. If you ahve already created PO and other document then it might affect the system and if just the material master is created and nothing more than that is done then i guess there wont be much problem. But again i am sure you will not be able to change it like from 123 to xyz. One of the enhancement gives you option of adding the prefix but not change the number.

Anoop

Former Member
0 Kudos

Currently the material is "1000", now it must be "MA1000". in this way, the Enhancement MGA00003 should be ok. But i don´t know where can i see this Enhancement, could you tell me pls.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Please go through the options shown below. I these can be help ful to you.

By the way the best thing will be to create a new material. If you have done anything much in the system with that material master then best thing will be to create a new material with the new number that you want to use. Please check if the enhancement below can help as well.

Further options are provided by the following SAP Enhancements:

_ SAP Enhancement MGA00002

This enhancement contains three customer exits that you can use for the following

purposes:

_ To modify material numbers entered externally by users, for example, by appending

a check digit

_ To assign material numbers internally by customer programs

_ SAP Enhancement MGA00003

This enhancement allows you to edit the display of material numbers as required. For

example, a material is assigned the number 123. With this enhancement, you can define

that the material number is displayed with, for example, the prefix MAT-, even though the

number in the database is still 123.

Please award if this is helpful.

Good Luck

Anoop