Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DATASET_CANT_CLOSE / DATASET_CANT_OPEN

Demirbilek
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi all,

We have upgraded our operating system to Windows Server 2003 and SAP system to 4.70. We use OPEN DATASET / TRANSFER / CLOSE DATASET statements to transfer data but after upgrade we get a lot of DATASET_CANT_CLOSE/OPEN errors. I guess this is something about the operating system but couldn't find a solution yet. Anyone had the same problem here? If so, I'd like to know how they solved the problem.

Thanks in advance;

5 REPLIES 5

TMNielsen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Hakan

You don't write from what operation system you upgrade, but anyway I have never work on a Windows Server 2003 platform.

However I guess you have problems with permission settings.

I could tell you about users/usergroups and read/write/execute permissions in UNIX, but I guess you can't use that in Windows environment.

Best regards

Thomas Madsen Nielsen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hakan,

I noticed your post while searching for the cause of a similar issue I am experiencing...

I'm not sure if anything was upgraded - but we are also suddenly getting issues with DATASET_CANT_CLOSE and they are only 80kb files...

Just wondering if you managed to resolve your issues!

Best regards,

Rocco

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

I had the same problem under UNIX, and found the solution.

I think its a bug in Release 4.6C (maybe in 4.70 too??).

R/3 changes the folder- and filenames always to uppercase.

so when You type in, for example, the path /tmp/test, R/3 changes them to /TMP/TEST.

I made the /TMP/TEST (uppercase) folder on my machine and the problem was fixed...

But I found the problem-detail described only in the ABAP-Shortdump...

Hmmm... strange...

regards Oliver

0 Kudos

We have been having the same DATASET_CANT_CLOSE problem for the past 1-2 years with a file size of several records (8 KB). And we know there is plenty of room on the server share.

Our site used to be Windows NT SQL and never had a single problem. We migrated to IBM UNIX DB2 and now the problem is intermittent. Some days -- NO problems. Others days -- many problems.

I have a batch job that runs every 15 minutes, which scrapes Work Orders from SAP and builds a flat file on a server share for TIMELINK to pick up. We can find no reason for the unpredictable problem. Sometimes a file is empty. At most, the file has 150 records, each with a length of 30 bytes.

Anyone else experiencing the same problem? Any solutions?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

I have that problem, a DUMP Show me that Error,

Err.tmpo.ejec. DATASET_CANT_CLOSE

Excep. CX_SY_FILE_CLOSE

Or it shows me the problem in the open data set too.

I dont Know That to do.

Im going to change the Path (Import) to (IMPORT).

If anybody can suggest something...

Thanks

Miguel Angel.

Bogotá, Colombia