cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BI in Netweaver 7.0: Trial download package (similar to MiniSAP for ABAP)

ram_pandey
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I have just been allocated to a support project a recent BI 7.0 implementation. Prior to this I have worked only on the 3.x environment.

Now, the BI 7 ETL process (transformations, DTP) is completely different from the earlier ETL process (transfer/update rules). I have the SAP Press publication for BI 7 (SAP Business Intelligence). It is a great resource, but the problem is that I do not have access to a BI 7 system where I could try out the new ETL process and the new reporting tools in BI 7 (Query designer, Report designer etc.).

Our client does not have a Sandbox system and the access to the Development environment is restricted since the implementation is complete.

Can anyone tell me if there is any package for BI 7, similar to MiniSAP for ABAP, which I can install on my own to familiarise myself with the new BI 7 environment? I have seen a package 'SAP NetWeaver 7.01 ABAP Trial Version' in the downloads section of SDN, but I'm not sure if it is for BI 7 or only ABAP.

Any help or information on the subject would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ram Pandey

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

As far as I know, there is no Mini-BI available. BI is a component of NetWeaver 7 as a standard solution. Its workbench is the standard delivered by SAP.

If there was a Mini-Bi, then SAP would not sell any licences on BI...

Regards

ram_pandey
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Laurent,

Sorry for the late reply, but I was out of commission for a while.

Since, as you've said, BI is a component of the Netweaver 7, I'd have thought it would also be a part of the Netweaver 7 trial version that SAP make avalable for download in the Downlaods section. Also, I'd read a comment in a forum thread where someone had remarked that the RSA1 DW Workbench is available in the trial package (tried to search for the said thread but couldn't find it again so can't post the link, sorry).

I'm not really looking for a full fledged BI installation, just a kind of trial package to familiarise myself with the new ETL pipeline.I could, of course, install the 'SAP NetWeaver 7.01 ABAP Trial Version' package and check it myself, but I just wanted to be sure so that all the effort of installing it isn't in vain.

Oh, and I do not understand what you mean by 'Its workbench is the standard delivered by SAP'. Could you please elaborate?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

I am surprised to hear about a kind of RSA1 in a trial version. I do not believe this exists. The reason is still because the RSA1 is the standard delivered by SAP.

When a customer buys ECC, they buy either FI, SD, CO, HR, PP, MM applications ... This is a standard solution with Abap technology (abap workbench and netweaver stuff), end users interfaces (MM01, VD05...), customizing capabilities (SPRO), and support from SAP (OSS). It is supposed to work. The support of OSS is about two topics : technical issues and functional issues.

When a customer buys BI, they buy the usage of a technology which will help them designing a datawarehouse ... This is a standard solution with Abap technology, end users interfaces (RSA1), customizing capabilities (SPRO), and support from SAP (OSS). However, there is no warranty that the delivery of SAP works for your company. This is only a technical platform (RSA1 and all the technical stuff) that helps you designing the datamodel (flows, cube, administration of the loading), the reports (Query Designer, Web templates), the planning solution (BPS, IP). The support of SAP cares only about the tools provided by SAP (RSA1, Bex, IP, ...) not about what you have designed with.

This is why the Business Content of SAP is not the standard solution delivered in BI. The standard solution is indeed the technology.

Regards

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ram, I can be quite definite. I've downloaded SAP NetWeaver 7.01 ABAP Trial Version and installed it successfully. Client 001 is set up as a BI 7.0 system. It has no Business Content, as Laurent says, but all the technical infrastructure is there. It takes a bit of technical knowledge to get it working, but it does work.

In fact, I know one company that offers (for a fee!) to install it, under VMWare, onto your laptop/desktop. And they specifically mention its BI capabilities.

matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Laurent - for info most "r3" boxes are now shipped with netweaver installed

Test this out yourself by going into a ECC6 system and typing RSPCM or RSA1 and see what happens!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simon,

You are not exactly right.

In fact, all the most recent releases of SAP (ECC, CRM, SM, ...) are by default shipped with BI, not most. It is because SAP solutions are now shipped under NetWeaver 7, and (as I said earlier) BI is a component of NetWeaver (like KM, Mobile connectors...).

I know that RSA1 exists in ECC, but it requires some customizing to have it work as a standalone installation (ECC + BI).

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Excellent Laurent - I didn't realise all boxes had it installed

For info then - how do I get to it in the MDM installation?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simon,

I have never worked with MDM. I just logged on to such solution for the first time due to your message and here is the installation I found:

SAP_ABA 700 0010 SAPKA70010 Cross-Application Component

SAP_BASIS 700 0010 SAPKB70010 SAP Basis Component

PI_BASIS 2005_1_700 0010 SAPKIPYJ7A PI_BASIS 2005_1_700

SAP_BW 700 0010 SAPKW70010 SAP NetWeaver BI 7.0

MDM_TECH 710_700 0000 - MDM_TECH 710 : Add-On Installation

As you can see, there is the installation of BI. Unluckely, I get the following message when I try using RSA1:

You are not authorized to use Transaction RSA1 ...

Too bad, but it is because that MDM installation belongs to SAP (system ID "A65" for anyone authorized to access to SAP Network).

What's your question about?

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

I know we are hogging another question - but from my point of view I am finding gathering info about MDM a nightmare - especially the interaction between BI and MDM (best go and do more research I think)

ram_pandey
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the info, mate. I have some queries:

1. When you say client 001 is set up as a BI system, do you mean that it comes set up as a BI system by default or have you set it up as a BI system yourself?

2. I suppose that by technical infrastructure, you mean that the RSA1 transaction is available, but without the business content. In that case, the technical knowledge that I would need would be designing an entire ETL pipeline from scratch (create my own datasources, transformations, InfoProviders etc.). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Can you pelase provide me with more details about the VMware solution? Would they need to physically access my desktop to install their package? (Because I'm resident in India and I'm not sure if they offer their services over here)

Thanks

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> 1. When you say client 001 is set up as a BI system, do you mean that it comes set up as a BI system by default or have you set it up as a BI system yourself?

>

> 2. I suppose that by technical infrastructure, you mean that the RSA1 transaction is available, but without the business content. In that case, the technical knowledge that I would need would be designing an entire ETL pipeline from scratch (create my own datasources, transformations, InfoProviders etc.). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

>

> 3. Can you pelase provide me with more details about the VMware solution? Would they need to physically access my desktop to install their package? (Because I'm resident in India and I'm not sure if they offer their services over here)

1. It comes as default.

2. Correct. No business content.

3. The service is not offererd in India. But it's a good way to do it, as if you screw up the implementation, it's easy to restart. I've tried it, but I've got stuck getting the VMWare tools running in my XP VM image.

matt

ram_pandey
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Thanks for all the help. I'll go ahead and install the trial package on my desktop.

I'm awarding full points but won't close the thread since I have another little query.

Laurent has mentioned in one of his replies in this thread that he got a message saying 'You are not authorised to access this transaction' when he tried RSA1. I'm not sure whether he's referring to the Netwaver trial package or his MDM installation. I'm hoping you haven't faced a similar problem with your installation. Please confirm.

Sincere thanks

Edited by: Ram Pandey on Oct 24, 2008 12:43 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I got the message on MDM, not on the trial version.

Regards

Laurent

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So, I confirm. No you don't get that message with the trial download.

matt

ram_pandey
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Laurent.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

I have the MiniSap "SAP Netweaver 7.01 ABAP Trial Version" and I want use The BI Module (RSA1).

I've tried to open the RSA1 or RSA1OLD, but a message appeared: "You can only work client 001." .

Then I logged back on client 001 and the system gave a message saying:

"System NSP client 001 has no logical name!.

Naming takes place through a logical assignment to system.

You Might Have to create another logical system before you can do this.

To continue, now assign the logical system to this & system & clientu201D

After that, when I click on "Assign" , another screen opens but I donu2019t know what to do.

Has anyone seen this?

Regards.

Mauricio.