Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Compression in UNIX Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

How to compress a file while writing it into UNIX server ??

And what will be the extension of such files in the server??? i ask this becoz i write a subroutine to delete very old file, so as to save space???? Can anyone help me on this??

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

General practice is that once the operation on the file is completed we move that file to the backup directory, so that in future we want we can still make use of that. We generally donot delete any files are zip them. Once you move the files from the current directory the space is available.

Thanks,

Mahesh.

0 Kudos

Hi Mahesh,

I write the file using OPEN DATASET command. My question is how do we compress it...and once we compress it what will be the file extension in UNIX server?

0 Kudos

Hi,

check how a command is given in unix environment to compress a file and you can call the same command from your ABAP program to compress the file. check with the unix guys.

Thanks,

Mahesh.

0 Kudos

Hi mahesh,

I did that, they say command 'Compress' does this work. Can u tell, how should i frame my code.

Regards,

Arun

0 Kudos

check this thread