cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query regarding CMS transport!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I hav an issue with CMS transport. - I hav done certain changes in a mapping for a specific name space say urn:XYZ. The software component for this name space is say SC1. This software component also contains several name spaces say urn:123. urn:456. urn:pqr. And some of them are active and some inactive

Now as per process, I hav activated my specific messege mapping and then going to TOOLS- Export Design Objects - Mode: Transport Using CMS. -- Individual Objecis -......

Now when I go to the CMS url....there after carrying out the necessary steps [ Pls refer to the following URL.This thing WILL take some time as it is a 2.5 MB file :

http://www.esnips.com/doc/34d643fe-13b3-4c83-922a-c64db6b7e52d/Change-REQUEST-CMS-Process,-manual-Co....

It contains a word document with details step by step screen shot showing everything in details -- see page 17 and 18. I dont understand , why in the approval tab, the SOFTWARE COMPONENT name is suggested, the reason being, if i select the SOFTWARE COMPONENT, all other name space within this SOFTWARE COMPONENT apart from my desired development get trsnaported in Production!!

EXPERTS, Pls check the doc in details,this is a kind of general manual and tell me if I hav missed out some thing/ or hav done some mistakes , I think this can be a gud document !!

Pls note, dont study the document by the NAME oF DEVELOPMENT perspective, I hav developed this doc from time to time with necessary changes / modifications !!

Regards,

Arnab.

Experts, this question still remains unanswered!

Edited by: Arnab Mondal on Oct 15, 2008 9:25 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arnab,

As much I know about Repository objects transport through CMS, you have to do the tranports Software Components wise (by each software component) as the initial transport. In the consolidation Assembly and approval step you have to do it per Software Component wise. There is a concept of subset assembly though in CMS for transporting Changes in the assembly step.

If you have only transported a change list and not the other objects in other namespaces (being edited, not activated), you don't have to worry about those unactivated and not-transported changes. Although in the consolidation or assembly or approval step you have to do it Component wise, but only the active and initially transported objects will be imported to your production system and not the ones still being edited in Development system.

Please let me know if you get more info on this.

Regards,

Suddha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Suddhasatta,

thank you very much for the reply, but here again I want to quote a part of ur reply.

>

> Although in the consolidation or assembly or approval step you have to do it Component wise, but only the active and initially transported objects will be imported to your production system and not the ones still being edited in Development system.

>

>

> Regards,

> Suddha

Now Suddhasatta, do u agree with the fact that, if there are some active name spaces in the given software component, then those name spaces will also go.. do you agree with me, as u said "not the ones still being edited in Development system"

Pls comment!

Arnab

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arnab,

True. I do agree. The active namespaces which were part of the initial transport. If you have added namespaces after the initial transport and have not transported that in any later stage and have only transported the specific change lists, these new namespaces should not be part of your production import.

I must agree, I also get confused at times about what is and what is not!

Regards,

Suddha

Edited by: Suddhasatta Guha on Oct 15, 2008 12:15 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Suddhasatta, 1 last confusion from your reply, sorry I may sound nuts, but look at this part of the reply...

>

> Hi Arnab,

>

> If you have added namespaces after the initial transport and have not transported that in any later stage and have only transported the specific change lists, these new namespaces should not be part of your production import.

>

>

But *If you have added namespaces BEFORE the initial transport*, then they are going to go in production along with the desired development....Right?? Is my understanding Ok..

Actually I must tell you, sometimes there are certain test developments/ name spaces, that are needed to be done within a software component, and once they are ACTIVE, they also go to production along with the desired development.....dont you think this is kind of Bug in XI... I mean, when there should be an option in CMS transport, to specifically send the desired development, irrespective of other active name spaces within the software components!!

Pls comment/ reply!

Arnab

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arnab,

It's not necessary that you have to transport the all the namespaces of your software component at the time of transport from Development system. While creating the transport list for your software component from Repository, it gives you three options to select the object set,

"All objects of a software component version"

"All objects of individual namespaces"

"Individual objects".

Here you can choose the necessary namespaces or objects you want to transport. But if you select the entire software component at the time of initial transport, all that would be shown as part of your change list in the CMS transport studio. There you have to deal with it software component wise, and at the assembly step you have to assemble the entire software component of the consolidation system. This ofcourse doesn't mean all objects in the s/w comp from the development system. But it would include everything from your intial transport list and subsequent transported change list. But you can also use subset assembly, in case you want to tranport some changes from consolidation system to the production system on emergency basis. And if you want to do a fresh transport, you can reject the entire transport for the software component from Approval step and retransport everything.

In CMS software components are used as the unit of transport, as you have to register the software components at the time of defining the track for IR in CMS. So in CMS the transports are managed Software Component wise and there it means the entire copy of the software component in consolidation system and not development system. You can selectively transport the objects in a software component from Development system.

Hope this clears your doubts.

Regards,

Suddha

Edited by: Suddhasatta Guha on Oct 15, 2008 1:41 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suddha,

i will be awardin u all initially very helpful answer, marks even though i hav some fog in my vision . I am just replying your comment step by step....my point of view....kind off!

Your comments below!

It's not necessary that you have to transport the all the namespaces of your software component at the time of transport from Development system. While creating the transport list for your software component from Repository, it gives you three options to select the object set,

"All objects of a software component version"

"All objects of individual namespaces"

"Individual objects".

*I AGREE !,, each time I hav done "Individual objects", very strictly!!*

Here you can choose the necessary namespaces or objects you want to transport. But if you select the entire software component at the time of initial transport, it would be part of your change list in the CMS transport studio. There you have to deal with it software component wise, and at the assembly step you have to assemble the entire software component of the consolidation system.

I AGREE !

This ofcourse doesn't mean all objects in the s/w comp from the development system. But it would include everything from your intial transport list and subsequent transported change list.

I AGREE !

*But you can also use subset assembly, in case you want to tranport some changes from consolidation system to the production system on emergency basis.

This process is not known to me..I need some links to this...I cannot see any such options in the APPROVAL tab of the Change Management service - Transport Studio**

In CMS software components are used as the unit of transport, as you have to register the software components at the time of defining the track for IR in CMS. So in CMS the transports are managed Software Component wise.

*I AGREE !*

But you can selectively transport the objects in a software component from Development system.

I AGREE !

But I hope u will agree with the fact that in the APPROVAL tab of the Change Management service - Transport Studio we get to see ALL the software components in the dev system for the given date and time!!Right, out of which we select the appropriate Software Component, now tell me do you agree with this??? -- I am not awardin u full marks as then the question will get completely answered, will do once my complete understanding is OK with me .. and unofficially , a million thanks to u!!

Regards,

Arnab

Edited by: Arnab Mondal on Oct 15, 2008 2:40 PM

Edited by: Arnab Mondal on Oct 15, 2008 2:41 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arnab,

Thanks for awarding points and I am glad to see your sincere responses, that is actually helping me to understand the concepts with more clarity.

As to answer your doubts,

1. The subset assembly option should be visible under the assembly tab, when you actually do the assembly step after consolidation. in approval queue you can either accept or reject a software component transport. Subset assembly is used when you want to transport some emergency changes from the consolidation system, directly exporting from there.

You have asked for some links to this information; the first and best place to see is the help.sap.com

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/0f/80243b4a66ae0ce10000000a11402f/frameset.htm

this is the direct link to the page which talks about the CMS options. Hope this documentation would help you to have a clear understanding of the process and its various option.

Your last question: I am not sure I get it correctly. But if you are asking whether I agree that the thread should be kept open; Then I agree, you should keep it open unless and until you get satisfactory answers or you have any doubt, how small it be.

Let us know if you have got all the answers you needed, and please share if you come across more useful and new information in this regard.

Regards,

Suddha

Edited by: Suddhasatta Guha on Oct 16, 2008 9:55 AM

Edited by: Suddhasatta Guha on Oct 16, 2008 9:56 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suddhasatta,

I still wish to keep this discussion open.

My query is,

Suppose I made some changes in a mapping, within a name space say urn:XYX. Now this is within a custom software component ZSC1. There are some more custom Software Components,say ZSC2 in the Integration Repository with active Name spaces in them say Urn1:ABC, Urn1:DEF.

Now inspite of selecting INDIVIDUAL OBJECTS in the TRANSPORTATION BY CMS window, for changes bought about ONLY in name space urn:XYX within software component ZSC1 in the IR , WHY do we get to see all custom software components say both ZSC1 and ZSC2 in the APPROVAL tab of teh CMS - Transport Studio.Actually I hav seen this happen twice, and I think I am sure about that, and I have thoroughly checked this with respect to TIME and DATE in the Approval tab. !

My query is why is it so? why do I get to see both the software components instead of ONLY ZSC1.?

Am I saying wrong, if yes, plsease correct me. And Suddhastta, thanks a lot for takin so much pain in patiently reading the query. Thanks for the link also.

Regards,

Arnab

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arnab,

Got your point. So let us try to understand how it works.

1. After we import the software component into cosolidation under consolidation tab, the software component moves to the next assembly tab page. On the assembly tab page, we see all the software components that have been registered for the IR track and have been imported to the consolidation previously. For the ID track there is only one SCV though for all the config objects.

2. We select the particular component we want to assemble, and click on "assemble components". After the assembly step is done, this SCV will move to the approval tab.

3. Here we will see all the previously assembled SCVs with their date time stamp alongwith our newly assembled component in the state "waiting for approval". AND THERE YOU HAVE YOUR DOUBT. We select the Software Component we are working with from the list (the one we just assembled at assembly step), and either Confirm or Reject the change (or the assemble SCV). I dont think we have accept or reject all the assembled Components that show up in the list. If we want to select all the listed components in this tab, there is a select all push-button as well.

4. This action will move only this newly Accepted Change/Component to the production tab page. There we can see all the previously Accepted components from approval queue. Here also we select the one we want to import into the production system and click on import.

Now that's the process. If your question is - why do you see all the other components, then the reason must be that, someone else have already assembled those components before. And because all the users might be using the same track for IR transport, under the that track you will get to see the other components that have been transported, consolidated and assembled by others. But you can always happily work with only your own individual component without bothering about what happens to others.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Suddha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suddha,

you got me at the very correct point...Exactly. And I wanted to ask you that why is it that even though I select a perticular SCV in the ASSEMBLY, why do I get to see all the SCVs in APPROVAL tab. . WAIT , there is something i want to POINTOUT -- all the SCVs , not only the older ones but also the new ones. I mean, all SCVs as of todays date and todays time ...

eg:

In the ASSEMBLY TAB say I select

2008/10/15 13:40 sapcom_SAP_ZPOS.

Now in the APPROVAL TAB, I get to see all the SCVs. Look at the date and time. I am NOT talking of older SCVs.

2008/10/15 13:40 sapcom_SAP_ECC_for_IBM_ISR

2008/10/15 13:40 sapcom_SAP_ZPOS

2008/10/15 13:40 sapcom_SAP_HR.

In this part I am supposed to select

2008/10/15 13:40 sapcom_SAP_ZPOS.

That is OK.

But correct me, IS IT OK to see other SCVs in teh APPROVAL tab at the same time and date even though i selected a specific SCV in the ASSEMBLY tab????

Pls comment... I think I am almost reached at the final stage of my doubt!

Many thanks for yor persistant feeds

Regards,

Arnab

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hmm, doesn't sound ok...............................

Do you see these other change lists with the same time stamp in consolidation and Assembly step as well?

Suddha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suddha,

Firstly let me tell u I don't go to the Consolidation step. I directly start my activities from the assembly step, once I log into the CMS Transport Studio. Is that an incorrect process??

Secondly, YES I DO see other change lists [SCVs] with the same time stamp in Assembly step !! -- and I always select teh appropriate SCV.

Pls comment!

Arnab

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suddha,

, it took me some time to prepare myself some answer.

the conversation!

Hi Arnab not a prob. I have not got a chance today to see your latest post on the thread, was busy with some stuff throughout the day.

+ Once Again Suddha , you managed time for me,, let me tell you, mine is not a very urgent issue, but YES, I want to get to the root of it!!!+

As you have said that, you see all the objects in the Assembly Tab page, then do one thing, right after you assemble the specific component, refresh the tab

and check if the other components get removed from the list, under Assembly Tab.

Well, tet me tell you some thing, in my process, I DONT Assemble the Specific component . Let me make this part clear to you . Let me tell you the steps, I

follow in details .

1. Once the change is done in the mapping- I transport it as INDIVIDUAL OBJECTS, through CMS Transport.

2. Log in to the Chanhe Management service!

3.Click on the appropriate TRACk-- that is track for integration repository

4.Click on teh aassebbly tab -- an assembly option arrives -- I select the " same suppot packages number as the last support package number!-- then click

on the ASSEMBLE button.

5. As a result of this all the 4 software components come into the list.

Here I select the appropriate SCV by selecting the LINE. Pls note I dont go to the SELECT Comonent button and select individual SCVs.

6. After selecting the LINE, I go to the approval tab, there I get to see all the SCVs, with severl datse. Here, I again select the appropriate SCV of mine based

on day and time. I select the LINE-- then click on the CONFIRM button. As a result of which i get to see APPROVED, for that SCV.

7. then I go to PRODUCTION TAB , again select the appropriate SCV line and click on the IMPORT button.

These are my steps. This is what I was tought . And now i feel , I missed certain steps .Pls correct me !

Then I must say that somehow you are assembling all the software components, somehow all the components are getting selected. I am having another

doubt, if the components have dependencies, could that be the reason for this?

Well as I described in step no 4 and 5 that I Do select the appropriate SCV in teh Assembley tab, by selecting the line but do not select it through "SELECT

Comonent button and select individual SCVs. Is this where I am going wrong????

Again, as far as the Integration Repository developments are concerned, no two SCV has any dependency, I am sure about that, the major factor being, the

3 SCV that I am working on are CUSTOM SCV.!

One more thing................if you are not going to the consolidation tab and importing the components into consolidation system, how are showing up in the

assembly tab. Strange! don't you think so? You need to follow the sequence of steps. Are you sure you are not referring to some older transports?

Well, this part ,I can smell RATs. Actually in my system I only have a PI develoment and PI production server. This is my first XI proj, and the above 7 steps

were all what I was told as necessary to send developments to Production. I hav absolutely no Idea of the utility of the CONSOLIDATION TAb, and the funda

of importing the components in the consolidation system. I donno anything about the installation of this CMS- Transport studio.But i can speak to the basis

team, and tell you , if you want to know about any specific basis settings.!!!

You need to follow the sequence of steps.

Pls tell me what am I missing !!

Are you sure you are not referring to some older transports?

That is not possible as I can check the date and time. all 3 SCV s have the same date and time. It is in the approval tab, I select the appropriate SCV and

send it for Production!!!

Regards,

Arnab .

Edited by: Arnab Mondal on Oct 20, 2008 11:43 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arnab

Sorry for the late response.

First to tell you, in your ideal SAP landscape you should have three integration systems/servers (XI)

1. Development

2. Consolidation (which you may also call the quality or staging or testing system)

3. Production.

The consolidation system is for consolidating and testing the quality of the developed objects. So if you have the three systems, you assign in the CMS track these three systems as development, consolidation and production. You export from Development and import it insto consolidation system from consolidation tab in Transport Studio. You test the objects in consolidation system. If thing go well, you decide to take these transports further to Production and hence you assemble these changes.

But there is something wrong! As I know, if you have got only two integration systems (as in many case), you define the production system as the consolidation system only. You dont need to define the entire track. There is no meaning for assembly or approval, as there is only one step of transport. Can you please confirm this with your basis team?

Regards,

Suddha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suddha,

But there is something wrong! As I know, if you have got only two integration systems (as in many case), you define the production system as the consolidation system only. You dont need to define the entire track. There is no meaning for assembly or approval, as there is only one step of transport. Can you please confirm this with your basis team?

@ your mail.

yes you are right, and i think this is the probabe reason, why i see this descrepency.

Answers (0)