cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utility of UDFs and some more questions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I hav a some questions tht I was asked during an interview, I couldnt manage some of them,

1.It is seen that in messege mapping, when the mapping logic is big for a given field, and the mapping looks messy and complex, we normally write an UDF. Or sometimes the logic tooks to complex to be done using teh standard components .... well is there any other specific reason why we write an UDF apart from this!

2. In an idoc to file scenerio... from day to day monitering perspective, I follow the following moniterimg steps!

In R/3.

Check the status of posted idoc in we02/05.

In XI - Abap Stack:

Check

1. IDX5

2. SXMB_MONI

3. SMQ2

In XI - JAVA Stack:

1. RW - Messege Monitering - Adapter Engine - System error / Holdings / Waitings .

Apart from this, we can log in the FTP server and check the data of the file.

My query is, is there any other step I hav missed out. I was asked by the interviewer there is something I am missing in between successful posting of the Idoc and at the time of receiving the same in XI.

I simply forgot to ask him the answer!! :-(.

Regards,

Arnab

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos
Why we go for udf's?

1) UDF is required when we want to do lookup in R3,which can not be done with std function.

Within an XI mapping it is a common requirement to be able to perform data lookups on-the-fly. In particular, there may be a need to look up some data that is maintained in an R/3 application.

In the error handling topic we have seen the different validations which need to be performed on file. This can be done through Lookup.

Some use cases:

• Look up material number from table MARA.

• Look up cost center budget.

• Look up employee information.

• Look up unit-of-measure (UOM) information from table t006a.

• Lookup for raising an alert.

In this case we need to write the UDF for the same.

2) UDF is used when you want to get the file value dynamically from the File adapter that time you have to go for UDF.

3) When there is a requirement where you need to do the comparision of input value with some value and based on that comparision you need to return some different value.

4) You can use UDF for raising alert.

5) You can use UDF for calling passing values to other java code.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

1.Some time we check sm 58 enties also is R/3 .

2. we are checking the trfc queue entries for sending system also.

regards,

navneet

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Navneet

1.Some time we check sm 58 enties also is R/3 .

I really dont know why we use this transactuion, can u explain the utility of this transaction ??Does it show the ststus of RFC connection made in SM59 to establish connnection between r/3 and Xi server???

2. we are checking the trfc queue entries for sending system also.

What is the process,, Not clear 2 me!!

regards,

navneet

former_member183906
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

2nd answer i think :

In XI these also we do earlier than seeing idoc in IDX5

1) ALE settings -port idx1 is to be done.

2) Idoc metadata - IDX2 needs to be checked. If idoc metadata has not come,we need to create it.

In R/3 side, Port should be identical to XI port and ALE settings must be correct.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijayanta,

I will partly agree with your answer. What you hav said is 100% correct, but in a maintenance project, when teh business is running successfully for months, I don think, from daily monitering perspective ,[ the system settings seems to be ROBUST ] i need to check the three steps taht you hav mentioned...

Pls comment/ correct me !

Regards,

Arnab