cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solaris Kernel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Kindly provide the steps to do the Kernel upgrade on Solaris/oracle -Abap + Java

My system is (Abap + Java). I downloaded the Abap kernel files from the service market places.

note :(I know the kernel upgrade on windows operating system)

1. If we apply Abap kernel is enough or i have to separtely apply kernel for Java?.

2. I see that /sapmnt/<SID>/exe - Owner is <SID>adm and group sapsys except saposcol file.

Thanks

Thirumal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Its same as you do in Windows. Rename the old folder and place the new kernel in run directory.

If you are going for Java kernel better to use JSPM.

Regards

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hii Vivek.

Thank you.

My system setup is Solaris/oracle server.

I see that run directory ..below Brtools files.

2キ・ 7ニ・2008ヌッ brarchive

2キ・ 7ニ・2008ヌッ brbackup

2キ・ 7ニ・2008ヌッ brconnect

2キ・ 7ニ・2008ヌッ brrecover

2キ・ 7ニ・2008ヌッ brrestore

2キ・ 7ニ・2008ヌッ brspace

2キ・ 7ニ・2008ヌッ brtools

.So , i cannot replace run directory..

1. also i see than files permission are like (-rwxr-xr-x 1 <sid>adm sapsys). If manually replace the files how to give ownership and permission for inside folder and subfolder (cfw.... etc) files.

(chmod 755 * ) only replaces the files.

or

2.If we I use JSPM to upgrade the kernel wether it will take effect for both ABAP and JAVA kernel upgade.?..

Thanks

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So , i cannot replace run directory..

Yes you can... brtools are part if the DB dependent part of the kernel.

1. also i see than files permission are like (-rwxr-xr-x 1 <sid>adm sapsys). If manually replace the files how to give ownership and permission for inside folder and subfolder (cfw.... etc) files.

For manually changing permissions (if required) just use chmod and you can use the switch -R to include subdirectories, to change owner use chown.

2.If we I use JSPM to upgrade the kernel wether it will take effect for both ABAP and JAVA kernel upgade.?..

No, JSPM is only for Java.... you need to complete procedures separately.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,

OK, The latest kernel which I download donot have brtools files.

My orginal "/sapmnt/<SID>/exe" (run dir linked to /sapmnt/<SID>exe) folder size is 659MB.

My new kernel extracted file size is 557 MB. (New kernel donot have BRtools files).

I guess Now I have to overwrite the kernel.

1.How to overwrite the kernel in Solaris?.

2. Shall i give the command like

"cp -r -p <kernel_patch_extract> <sapmnt>/<SAPSID>/exe"

Kindly confirm above cmd is ok, if not please give the command to overwrite the existing kernel.

Thanks

Thirumal

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My new kernel extracted file size is 557 MB. (New kernel donot have BRtools files).

Thats ok.. you can copy brtools from your current kernel to the new one or download them from SAP Marketplace.

I guess Now I have to overwrite the kernel.

Never overwrite the kernel... always move the kernel to a new directory so you can keep it as a backup. basically just rename the directory... you can do the in solaris by using comand "mv"

2. Shall i give the command like

"cp -r -p <kernel_patch_extract> <sapmnt>/<SAPSID>/exe"

NO... create a new directory in <sapmnt>/<SAPSID>/ for example "exe_new" the copy all extracted files to <sapmnt>/<SAPSID>/exe_new and the copy brtools from exe to exe_new. Once your happy with it... stop the system then rename the exe directory to for example exe_old, finally rename exe_new to exe and start the system

Easy... huh?

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, Easy.. Thank you..

Thanks

Thirumal.

Answers (0)