cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to chnage cuurent server for SQL

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I know the subject sounds easy, but I am at a lost.

I have SAP PL 46 with Win 23k and SQL 2005 running on Citrix

My issue is when some users log on current server logs to sql 2000 # 1 which we do not have. I have changed the Params.ini to reflect #4 which equals SQL 2005, and I have even gone in and changed the reg under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sap\Sap Manage\SAP Business One\Login, under Servertype I have change the value to 4 as well.

But yet some clients create a .dmp file because they default to sql2000 under current server when I look at change server. But after the DMP process they are able to log onto SAP.

I have installed SQL 2005 Native client on all user machines.

I have created obdc driver on all client machines.

I have reset current server to sql 2005 on all clients.

some clients keep settings and some don't.

So there is my dilemma.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so Much

Allen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Allen

One more thing to check is that both servers (2000 and 2005) are not using the same port 1433.

Kind regards

Peter Juby

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Peter,

Thanks I will check that because I am pretty sure that may be the case I do have SQL 2000 running for my citrix store, I did not think about that!

Thanks

Allen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Peter,

Don't know if you saw this in my posting above.

but I have a local client as well c:\program files\sap

that one has no problem connecting at all, it connects all the time every time with the right server SAP with the right SQL 2005.

It is only with my citrix clients on my Citirx server.

I am still checkin in to your reply, again thanks for the info, just wanted to give some more info on the situation.

Thanks so much

Allen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Peter,

fallow up here I have got this case escalated with SAP, I did what you said I removed the other SQL server taking out the other port in question and still have the same problem in question.

at this point, I I have created a NEW Citrix server with its own farm, installed new SAP B1 client, and pointed it to my SQL2005 server, and looked in my registry b4 launching SAP B1 client and my value is 4 = MSSQL2005

I launch the client and it defaults to 1 = MSQL2000.

I have even checked on new Citrix server to make sure when installing SAP B1 client that i was in installer mode and not user mode so reg value would stick.

So I know it is not a Citrix issue nor a Windows rights issue, my users do not belong to a security grp.

This happens if they use citrix client or desktop client so know I am REALLY at a lost lol.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks so much

Allen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I Thank every one for there help in trying to resolve this issue but it still lingered on, my resolve was to build a new Citrix server and add new DI API and SAP Client with all updates and repoint in the Params.ini prior to installing to the correct SQL server.

I no longer have any issues.

Sad to say I had to go the long way, but the good news is it works.

Thank you guys for your help, I greatley apprecieate all your input, as I am a newbie lol

Regards

Allen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good news. Actually, the long way you went through might be the only way. MS has the famous name in remembering something so stubborn that it just refuse to change. If you start this long way quicker, it could be much shorter.

Thanks,

Gordon

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Allen

When you log on to the client, choose change company. If sql_2000 is displayed, try change server and enter sa and password. When it returns to the company list, try the drop down again and see if sql_2005 is in the list. Select it and again click on Change Server. It should work after this.

Kind regards

Peter Juby

Former Member
0 Kudos

Now I understand your problem. My suggestion is: check all registration keys related to SAP to make sure all pointing to the right value. Only currrent user is not good enough.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gordon, sorry bout the confusion there.

Is there any othere registration keys I should be looking for other than what I listed below:

1. the params.ini

2. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sap\Sap Manage\SAP Business One\Login

these are the ones I found relevant to my problem in the forums.

Thanks

Allen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Completely search the registration file, you will find other SAP related key value. Change them all. If you can not find any others, your user right may not be good enough for the task.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gordon,

I think I have nailed it down, however here is my problem in the registry on my Citrix Server where my client logon for SAP:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sap\Sap Manage\SAP Business One\Login Servertype =1 I change it to 4 for MSSQL2005, then the next morning it defaults back to 1 for MSSQL.

Is there any way I can lock that value from changing or is there something else in SAP B1 that is changing that value in the regisrty?

Thank you

Allen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Allen,

The key only for current user is not enough, you have to change the default key from the registration file. Please use admin's account for the server to change it!

Thanks,

Gordon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gordon,

I am logged on as admin on the citrix server when making these changes, this is what is puzzling.

Also I noted this in the params.ini:

Server=SAP01

Type=1

When I change values to

Server=SAP

Type=4

then try to reinstall client after uninstal on citrix SAP B! client install says:

Setup has failed to automatically Login to the server sap, Please enter the correct login information.

Any thoughts.

Thank you

Allen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gordon,

Sorry, forgot to mention our SAP server is located on server named SAP as well as SQL 2005.

Thxs

Allen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Your server name is too short. When you have chance to change, make it at least 6 characters. The SAP01 must be the right connection name for you to meet the minimum length requirement from B1.

Please completely search all registration keys for SAP. Check them all.

Thanks,

Gordon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Allen,

It is a little bit difficult to understand your question. Am I right that you are facing problem with 2 SQL Server running on the same box?

Thanks,

Gordon

Former Member
0 Kudos

For clarification, we are running the SAP clients on a Citrix server and the SAP database is located on a SQL 2005 server.

Recently, the SAP client dump was happening every time a user logged in. That was not the case when we upgraded from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005 a couple of months ago, and we're not sure why it suddenly started happening a few weeks ago.

Regardless, in working with SAP Support, we did narrow down the cause to the type of database displayed when "change user" is selected at login. In other words, the "server type" was "1 - MSSQL" and it should be "4 - MSSQL 2005".

When we select "4 - MSSQL 2005" and login to the correct database, that selection is not always remembered by SAP, so some users keep trying to login to the wrong type of database.

So at this point, we'd like to know exactly how SAP "remembers" which server type to login to. That would at least eliminate this variable (the one where SAP keeps trying to default to the wrong server type).

Allen's note above was saying that we changed a reg entry on the Citrix server, but when Citrix rebooted, it switched the reg entry back to "1 - MSSQL".