cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acheive both Options: BPM restart and Raise Exception.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have a requirement in my current project in BPM design.

In case of any application errors or system errors the BPM process should fail at the step and the exception hadler should catch the exception and information should reach the end user as an Alert.

But I am facing problem in acheving both the objectives.

1.If an exception is occured an alert will be triggered using the control step and the BPM will be successfull and will not be available for restart.

2.If I am deliberately not handling the exceptions inside the BPM ,it will fail and the BPM will be avaialble for the restart but this time alert will not be triggered.

Can any one suggest me an alternaive way out for this requirement?

Thanks & Regards,

Sunil.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'd say to handle this at application level.

If exception is caught, send negative acknowledgement back to the sender (if technically possible). The sender should evaluate the ack and, in case of negative ack, raise exception that makes it possible for the user to restart the process.

Regards,

Henrique.

PS:If ack is not technically possible, trigger an inbound interface back to sender system to achieve the same functionality.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi @ll,

I came along to this issue some time ago, too.

I was also wondering that there is no solution for this requirement. Send alert and have the availibility to restart the BPM at

the error step.

I found following solution:

I don´t use the alert function of ccBPM anymore. Furthermore I handle upcoming errors creating an CCMS Alert and transfer this to a central monitoring system.

In the end an alert mail is created and sent t a group of persons.

The failed ccBPM remains in the error state since this not catch by an alert and so could be restart.

I hope this procedure is also suitable for your requirements.

Kind regards

Jochen

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We deicide to go ahead with the logic which is mentioned in this blogu2026this will handle both the application and system errors.

But the user will not get a emial...... while the BPM restart is getting failed.

Thanks for your precious time.

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The point here is about understanding.

BPMs are stateful processes and, as such, they are not supposed to be restarted (such as async messages), since the states which applied during the initial execution of the process may not be appliable anymore.

The correct procedure is always to end/cancel the process and start again from the user interface.

Regards,

Henrique.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil

n case of any application errors or system errors the BPM process should fail at the step and the exception hadler should catch the exception and information should reach the end user as an Alert.

But I am facing problem in acheving both the objectives.

1.If an exception is occured an alert will be triggered using the control step and the BPM will be successfull and will not be available for restart.

2.If I am deliberately not handling the exceptions inside the BPM ,it will fail and the BPM will be avaialble for the restart but this time alert will not be triggered.

I have faced similar requirement before.

I don't know this will help or not.

What we have done is when we get exception, the generated alert message was passed to a data type that do an RFC call to PI system. Which in turn generated the alert messages as email to the concerned people and generate a response message that creates dummy message. Which fails the BPM. We came to know the error received in so that it can be rectified or restarted. This fulfilled my requirement.

We used the similar method to get rid of message queue when bulk messages entered and restarted automatically

Thanks

Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

handle the exception - throw alert - then throw another exception....

i guess bad idea..

Former Member
0 Kudos
handle the exception - throw alert - then throw another exception....

in place of the second exception(after alert) what you have mentioned ......if I use the same a copyof send step where the actual exception had occured.( but with out handling the exception) then the BPM will fail.

...since the exception is not handled.

but the problem here is , duirng restart the alert will not trigger since the restart will happen to the failed send step which is not handling the exceptions....