cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with compounding characteristics in the query

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello guyz

I have an issue with 2 chars one compounding the other in the query. The 2 chars are : Action Type and Action Reason in HR. Action type is the compounding char. for action reason.

For example: we have

Action Type Action Reason

01 A1

01 A2

02 A1

02 A2

Now I want to restrict a key figure based on specific action reasons and types. But when I pick AT: 01, AR: A1, it selects AT: 02, AR: A1. The reason why it does this is because, there are 2 A1s under action reason and it picks the one at the end (ie last record with value A1 in the table)

But my compounding works when i create variables for the same and have them as user entry variables.

My question: How do i pick specific action reasons for specific action types (for restricting key figures) in the above example?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can create a restricted KF by restricting both AT and AR ...

restrict char AT by 1 and char AR by 1 ...this should suffice..

Edited by: Ashish Gour on Oct 14, 2008 11:21 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ashish

Its not working man. When i restrict char AT by 01.. then i should only see the 1st 2 options right. let me give u another example.

AT AR AR description

01 A1 Very Good

01 A2 Good

02 A3 OK

02 A4 Bad

02 A1 Very Bad

Now AT is compounding char to AR. Now i want to restrict my KF on AR desp = Very good.

How do i do this?

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. In KF restriction first select characteristic for AT.

2. Restrict AT to ' 01' .

3. Then pull in characteristic for AR .

4. Restrict AR to ' A1 ' .

This should restrict the KF to AT = 01 and AR = A1 which should be Very Good!!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ashish

Here is what happens.

1. First I restrict with AT - 01 for my KF.

2. Now when i try and restrict AR, i assume that i should only see AR values (A1, A2), right? But it shows me all the values.

3. Lets say that i still go ahead and restrict AR - A1 (Very Good), it select the right one.

4. But when i save the query and logout and login into BEX again, it changes this AR- A1 value to pick "Very Bad".

5. I dont know why it does this?

Any ideas??

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As long as the query definition is not changing you should not get Very Bad..

Please check the text table data to confirm your retriction values..

Ashish..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well.. thank you Ashish for your help so far.

Now, these Chars. are coming directly from a data source to the cube. From my previous example again, the thing that i dont understand is:

When i try restrict the KF with AR, on the left hand side of the pop up window i see:

AR

[01, A1] --> Very good

[01, A2] --> Good

[02, A3[ --> OK

[02, A4] --> Bad

[02, A1] --> Very Bad

But, when i drag 'A1' (Very Good) to restrict on the KF on the right hand side of the window, I only get:

A1 (Very good), what i want to drag is [01, A1] --> very good.. action type value should come along with action reason.. right??

when i save the query, logout and log back in, I see:

A1 (Very Bad)

Question: Why dosen't Action type char come along with action reason on the right hand side.. its a compounding char right?? So it should determine what value action reason takes?

Any idea??

Former Member
0 Kudos

AT AR AR description

01 A1 Very Good

01 A2 Good

02 A3 OK

02 A4 Bad

02 A1 Very Bad

A1 is the value of characteristic AR. You will not be able to restrict the characteristic AT along with AR.

to do this you need to seperately retrict AR and AT. Olny then will the restriction work. I hope this makes it clear..

Ashish..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok. but there are two 'A1' values for char AR, how will u pick the right one. I want AR - A1 (Very Good) and not AR - A1 (Very Bad).

The only way you can do this is by restricting it with char AT - 01, since AT is the compounding char. for AR. This is the concept of 'compounding chars'.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok. but there are two 'A1' values for char AR, how will u pick the right one. I want AR - A1 (Very Good) and not AR - A1 (Very Bad).

The only way you can do this is by restricting it with char AT - 01, since AT is the compounding char. for AR. This is the concept of 'compounding chars'.

You are exactly right...as you said there are 2 A1 values for AR...

so you first restrict AR to A1 ...

then you pull in char AT and restrict it to 01 so that you see only Very Good and not Very Bad....

Try restricting each char seperately and let me know..It will work 100%.

Ashish

Former Member
0 Kudos

I checked the key figure values in the query with the MP, and I think it works.

Thanks Ashish for your help !!