cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

What's the better approach to blocking users from accessing B1 while I upgrade from Patch Level to another? Should I lock the user's access or remove their attributed license? Is there another way?

thx,

Richard

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Richard,

To tell you the truth, there is no better way to block users from accessing B1.

If you have no other options, you should do whatever you can ti block them access.

It is easy to dealing with the users they are off from B1. However it will be too hard or not possible for users they are logged in already. You may have to log off them from the computer they are logged in.

Thanks,

Gordon

Former Member
0 Kudos

well...if you are so concerned...how about changing the sql password?

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is not that I am concerned. The problem is: once a user is in the system, it is so hard to let them out easily.

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If important I would recommend to use NT-authentication and remove the user groups access to the database in SQL-manager.

Former Member
0 Kudos

remove network cable of server and do update

former_member187989
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi richard page,

Get prior approval from clients project manager & ask them send mail to their end users about shut down of SAP B1.

Jeyakanthan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Richard

I can give you "unconvential" ways of achieving this, but I am concerned, as users are logged on for a reason. They have to process transactions, and if you interrupt this, the questions they will ask is did my transaction get added or not? When the upgrade is complete, confusion as everyone must now start again where they stopped. But let's examine the process to see what can be done.

1. Upgrade server tools. This will stop the license server and install a new server tools. At this point any new log ins will be impossible.

2. Upgrade Common. Will certainly affect users as they will get a version mismatch error. Certain tables in SAP Business One get stamped with the current version and this is obtained from SBO_Common. Could cause some major problems.

3. Help upgrade. No issue as help is downloaded to local machines.

4. Client upgrade. Will affect user next time he starts SAP Business One.

5. Database upgrade. Most critical as you will not be able to upgrade with users logged on.

From the above flow I would say the risk is throughout the process and it is advisable not to allow any processing at all. With other words, I would not attempt a partial upgrade while still allowing processing. Some stopping points are as follows:

1. Unplug server from LAN. Any other shared folders or programs will be inaccessible. Internet may not function. Print server will be inaccessible. Emails might not be available.

2. Change sa password (or any other sql user assigned to SAP Business One client connections). Not a good idea, as any other software relying on sql won't function. Also, users might try changing password themselves to get back in, then you will have to go to each client and re enter the password after upgrading.

3. Take database off line. Will require "kill process" for each active connection. Possibility of corruption when interrupting user postings. Could be effective if all users are already logged off, as they won't be able to gain access till on line again.

4. Detach database. Same as no. 3.

5. Reset user passwords. Little effect as users are already authenticated and logged on. Mess to reset later.

6. Other drastic measures.

We are not trying to discourage you, but with years of experience, we know what works and what causes more headaches than good.

Kind regards

Peter Juby

Former Member
0 Kudos

I understand what the two of you are saying but my question is still unanswered, what would be the best way to ensure that no one gains acess to the system. I cannot remove the B1 Server from the network, so is it lock the users or remove the licenses?

thx,

Richard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Richard

Gordon is right. Why are you running an upgrade during the day? We usually do this in the evening or on weekends when no users need the system. Have you got a special reason for doing this when users need the system? What will you do when your database reaches 10 Gigs or more and takes 2 hours or more to upgrade? The risk is when something goes wrong. To re-install the previous version, restore the database and test and get back online could take hours and then what do the users do? My suggestion is to only upgrade when necessary to fix a known issue, and then to do this on a test database first, and then deploy to production system. And this should be done after hours.

Kind regards

Peter Juby

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Richard,

In my experience, the best way to restrict users to access B1 for good reason is non-technical.

You have to train users to know how important it is for them to not use B1 for the critical time.

Finding help from top management is neccesary in this respect.

The last thing you have to do is to use any technical means. The simplest way is detaching your server from network if you can.

Thanks,

Gordon