cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cenvat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

Can anyone pls explaing what is cenvat and how it is calcualted? I also came across the term cenvat utilisation.

What do we mean by it.

Thanks

Srikanth

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

CENVAT stands for Central Value Added Tax (earlier, they used the term MODVAT - modified Value Added Tax). Under CENVAT Credit Rules 2004, you will be able to take credit of excise duty, service tax, additional customs duty paid on input goods/services and utilize the credit for payment of excise duty, service tax on your output (goods/services), provided you are manufacturer/producer of final products or a provider of taxable service.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srikanth,

As srikanth told Cenvat (Central Value added Tax). Basically it is to take the credit of the excise duty amount that has been paid for the purchase of goods. I will detail u with an example

Suppose say u purchase goods for Rs.1000/- on that your vendor will show excise duty as say 160/- and the total amount u have to pay to the vendor. Now as u use this material for your further production of goods what u will do is u will take the credit of this excise duty u had already paid. Now lets suppose u had produced a final good of say 10000/- now on this ur excise dut comes to 1200/-. Now u need not be required to pay this 1200/- to tax authorities u can pay only (1200-160 = 1040) as the 160/- amount is already paid to the vendor.

I hope u understood.

regards

srikanth.