cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer requesting to load legal paper so print job fails

dan_pfingsten2
Participant
0 Kudos

The printer is a HP Laserjet 4 series PCL-5, device driver: HPLJ4.

It has 3 trays: #1 is a bypass, #2 and #3 have 8.5x11 paper.

This printer has been in use for some time, but suddenly the printer is now requesting to "load plain legal" when a print job from SAP originates. If the user disregards this message and prints anyway then only part of the print job comes out. If legal paper is loaded, the print job comes out. But the users do not want it printed to legal, they want the 8.5x11. I have tried specifying the 'Tray Info' as letter in SPAD. The printer works just fine for any Windows applications like Microsoft Word, but not with SAP. Another printer (same brand and device type) does work as expected and the config in SPAD is the same for these 2. The printer support group says nothing has changed in the config in the printer itself and that the issue has to be on the SAP side.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dan,

Please go to SPAD-->Device Types.. Enter the device type as HP Lase Jet-<version> and then click on Formats tab.. Select the format that you mentioned(8.5*11)..

Click the check button on top to check for syntactical errors in the specified format..

Regards

Thilip Kumar

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

dustin_justet
Explorer
0 Kudos

Since you say another printer of the same brand using the same device type works with the same settings in SPAD I think the problem is with the printer itself.

This issue comes up occasionally at my site - often after someone prints something out of the ordinary like labels. Nothing changes in the configuration menu of the printer but the printer asks to load legal when printing from SAP.

I think there is a lever on the side of the paper trays on HP Laser Jet4's that can be adusted for paper selection. Have your printer support group compare the paper tray lever settings of the printer that doesn't work out of SAP with one that does.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tray selecting Tray info wiith page format which you want it to be.

But you should be sure of the tray in which that paper of that specified sizes are located

Regards

Vivek

dan_pfingsten2
Participant
0 Kudos

The device type (format) already contains the correct size (8.5x11). Other printers using this device type work just fine. I have also tried setting the tray specifically in Tray Info with no luck. When the user prints, the message 'load legal paper' comes up on the printer. There must be a setting somewhere indicating that the print job needs legal paper. Any ideas on where that might be? Or anything else to try?