cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to run just the data flow

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are in the process of converting from one ETL tool to Data Services 3.0. I have a workflow with several data flows underneath it and have to make a change to the data flow. Is there a way to run just the dataflow without executing the whole job? For example, I just want to run DF4 below.

WF --> DF1 --> DF2 --> DF3 --> DF4 --> DF5

Thanks,

Dan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Is there a way to run just the dataflow without executing the whole job? For example, I just want to run DF4 below.

>

> WF --> DF1 --> DF2 --> DF3 --> DF4 --> DF5

>

> Thanks,

> Dan

I assume you want to do this for testing purposes?

The simplest way is to create yourself a testing batch process and drop a copy of that workflow into that and run that batch by itself.

0 Kudos

I believe what Giles was trying to say was drop a copy of the dataflow. Dataflow / Workflow objects are found in your object library so you can move them around anyway you like.

If you need to copy a DF or WF you can use the replicate (righ click -> replicate). Be careful when replicating WF's as it doesn't recursively replicate the DF's within.

-Gera Mats

Consultant, Global Field Services

gera.mats at SAP.com

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We do that by using a Condition and a Global Variable. In this case, you can use all your global variable, init_script and objects like that and execute only the DF, WF that you want.

Hope it helps

Chris

werner_daehn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Although this topic is solved, just a few clarifications:

When you create a new job and drag 'n drop the workflow/dataflow into it, you are not creating a second object (class), you are calling the object a second time (instantiate). It is like a BASIC program. I created a sub-procedure and called in DF1. In my filesystem I can see that sub-procedure as a seperate file in the folder object_library -> dataflow_procedures.

Then I have two main programs, both just calling that sub-procedure with "gosub DF1".

In the job you see the calls, when you drill into DF1 you see its definition and what object it calls.

-

Using a conditional is okay but not adviced in my opinion. You are losing too much, the handling is complex and development takes a few seconds longer. my two cents only.

https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/Testing

Answers (0)