cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to run just n number of rows

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are in the process of converting from one ETL tool to Data Services 3.0. I have gone through the tutorial and searched the forum, but could not find a way to run the first n rows of source. For example, my source has 3000000 rows, but instead of running all the rows through the job, I just want to run the first 1000 rows to make sure I am getting my desired result before running all 3000000 rows.

Thanks,

Dan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You could include a where clause on the query that is pulling the data to just restrict it to a subset of rows.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

werner_daehn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is what the debug feature is about. You would open the dataflow and on the line from the source table you add a filter saying "less than 1000 rows". When you execute that, this filter gets ignored. But when you "Start Debugging" instead of "Execute", this filter will be merged into the reader and hence just 1000 rows are executed. Further more, once the job is completed, you get asked if the debugging session should be shut down. If you say "No", you then can open the dataflow again and see the rows with their data that have been moved through all the steps.

(Keep in mind, to edit anything, you have to end the debug session - you cannot edit a dataflow while it is still debugged)

0 Kudos

Dan,

Use a SQL transform and configure it to load data from your source. Create a Select * From <Table_Name> Where rownum < (# of rows you want) in the text area.

Connect that to a Query transform or not and ->> table.

-Gera Mats

Consultant, Global Field Services

gera.mats at sap.com

Edited by: Gera Mats on Oct 18, 2008 9:27 PM