cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online backup restore

former_member201054
Contributor
0 Kudos

I am planning to check the taken online backup ( DB13 ) on the same system for that will be using the following commands.Please check the commands and if there's any strangeness kindly point it out.

step 1)brrestore -m full -b abcdefg.anf

step 2) brrestore -a <startlog#>-<endlog#>

from sql:

step 3) RECOVER DATABASE USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE UNTIL CANCEL;

step 4) ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS;

Please check the sequence and give me your valuable suggestion.

I would appreciate your help

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Daniel,

your procedure is correct and you can do your restore test like that.

Keep in mind that your scenario is an incomplete recovery, which is not an option in the most productive systems - but this is a strategy and implementation task.

Regards

Stefan

former_member201054
Contributor
0 Kudos

I am not able to get your point - Imcomplete recovery ..Still am I missing something for complete data restore/recovery ? ..Please make clear and brief it out so I will correct the mistake.

How can we brtools menu driven option for online and redolog restore/recovey ..Kidnly let me know the menu driven options to be followed with steps.

I would appreciate your help.

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Daniel,

> Still am I missing something for complete data restore/recovery ?

For a complete recovery you also need the online redolog files. But in your described scenario you are only using the archive log (offline redolog file) for the recovery.

@ Lars:

> I don't get it. Why does everybody want to use the brtools only halfway?

Because maybe some customers know what they are doing.

If you use a third party backup / restore tool like TDP for MySAP or something like that, you have to use the BRTools to restore the database files. For the recovery the BRTools are not needed anymore (if you know what you are doing).

Regards

Stefan

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> @ Lars:

> > I don't get it. Why does everybody want to use the brtools only halfway?

> Because maybe some customers know what they are doing.

> If you use a third party backup / restore tool like TDP for MySAP or something like that, you have to use the BRTools to restore the database files. For the recovery the BRTools are not needed anymore (if you know what you are doing).

The big majority of messages I had to work on where backup/recovery was a topic indicated that this is not the case.

For some reason, many customers don't seem to know what they are doing.

And even more customers think they know, but got it wrong.

For those (and also to prevent mistakes of the ones, that actually really know what they are doing) the brtools offer a help.

Nobody has to use them - it would just be the better choice in most of the cases.

regards,

Lars

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> I am not able to get your point - Imcomplete recovery ..Still am I missing something for complete data restore/recovery ? ..Please make clear and brief it out so I will correct the mistake.

>

> How can we brtools menu driven option for online and redolog restore/recovey ..Kidnly let me know the menu driven options to be followed with steps.

>

> I would appreciate your help.

@Stefan: I told you

@Daniel: Ok, the first place to look for would be the documentation [BR*Tools for Oracle DBA |http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/0c/cd271365debc42bef96ac7fd907787/frameset.htm]

In addtion you may want to check one of my blogs [We all hate the BR*Tools, don't we?|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/6769] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken];.

To get a fresh start, just run 'brtools' (it's one of the br*-programs as well) from the command line.

regards

Lars

former_member201054
Contributor
0 Kudos

On the tape drive medium ,I have online(DB13) database backup and redo logfiles .I didn't talk anywhere about offline archive logfiles...Now Please correct me with exact commands to be used to meet my scenario. I will have to get the system without any error like I got before the backup.

If you suggest any changes in the mentioned commands it would be quite useful.

I would appreciate your help .

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Daniel,

> On the tape drive medium ,I have online(DB13) database backup and redo logfiles .I didn't talk anywhere about offline archive logfiles

Ok wait.. maybe you mix up two things:

• Redolog files = Online Redolog files

• Archivelog files = Offline Redolog files

You always backup the archivelog files in an ONLINE backup and never the redolog files itself.

If you really copy / backup the redolog files (=online redolog files) you can delete your backup.. it will be useless.

> Please correct me with exact commands to be used to meet my scenario

The commands that you have posted above are correct, i just want to point you to the fact that this scenario is an incomplete recovery. If you want to restore your database in this way in an emergency case, you will have a lost of data (the data from the current redolog file, the not archived redolog files and the not backuped archivelog files).

@ Lars:

You have a tough job, but someone has to do it )

Regards

Stefan

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

former_member201054
Contributor
0 Kudos

The explanation from Stefen and given link for BRTOOLS are quite useful and more clear ..but my opinion is,BRTOOLS work smoothly if we choose the parameters and value correctly and break off the complexity of DBA's.

thanks to all of you.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't get it. Why does everybody want to use the brtools only halfway?

Just use 'brtools' the menu driven user interface.

Or at least 'brrecover'.

See, brrestore was just meant to get the 'stuff back to it's place'.

Where is the advantage in having to type in all the commands you probably don't really understand?

Just take the easy and safe way here - use the tools. They are already paid anyway...

regards,

Lars