cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Installation - New Way

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello gurus,

Recently we installed ECC6 . Now we are looking to install ecc 6 for another department in another hardware with different license...

Instead of reinstalling ecc 6 again, can I just copy the OS from existing installation to new hardware with same OS ? Would htat install SAP aswell ? Is it this straightforward or am i missing anything ?

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I did that with ImageX. Capture image of each disk and restore its and the other server.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I did that with ImageX. Capture image of each disk and restore its and the other server.

Yes, and you did not get the point!

I did not write, that is would not work or that it would immediately crash.

I wrote, that it is not supported. And should you ever run into troubles with this way of setting up the system and open a support message - you won't get support.

Although it might be hard to conceive, but there are many dependencies that are created during installation time, that cannot easily be changed afterwards. So if you e.g. change the hostname after the copy this will create problems later or sooner.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lars

Thanks for your note.

Do you have any SAP document or marketplace link on this topic so that I can verify with SAP before proceeding with this please?

Appreciate help from any SAP employees in this forum.

Thanks

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are no links on that since it´s not supported.

Markus

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kasu,

if you click on my name next to the replies you'll get my profile - I am a SAP employee working in database support.

One example where it is explicitely mentioned, that this "procedure" is not supported can be found in note:

#551542 - FAQ: Oracle Software Installation, Upgrade, Migration Linken, Point 2

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry I did not know that you were SAP employee.

Thanks for your help.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Instead of reinstalling ecc 6 again, can I just copy the OS from existing installation to new hardware with same OS ? Would htat install SAP aswell ? Is it this straightforward or am i missing anything ?

Yep, you're missing that this is not supported.

Neither for the database nor for the SAP software a 'install-by-file-copy' is supported.

Installing as indicated by the installation guidelines is the only supported way to do this.

regards,

Lars