cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I upgrade from CR 8.5 in VB6 to Crystal Reports 2008 in VB6?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have applications written in VB 6 that call on CR 8.5 reports - both external .rpt files and reports stored within the VB6 application using the embedded Crystal Reports 8.5 Designer tool.

A client wishes to upgrade to "the latest version" of CR which appears to be Crystal Reports 2008. When I downloaded the trial version of CR 2008 from Business Objects I read that I could download for free the COM Designer Tool addin(s) required by VB6 from their site. This seems to have disappeared now and I am asking the community which designer tool(s) I actually need to download and from where they may be available.

With many thanks in advance!

Peter Tyler

Geneva - Switzerland

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Peter,

The Report Designer Component (RDC) was retired with the release of CR2008. Crystal Reports XI Release 2 (v11.5) is the last version to ship with the RDC.

There are no COM components in CR2008 - so there's nothing available to integrate into VB6. The upgrade path with CR2008 is to move to the Crystal Reports .NET SDK. You can get more information about the CR.NET SDK in the [Developer Library|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/businessobjects?rid=/webcontent/uuid/5001d5de-f867-2b10-00bf-8d27683c85a0].

If you need to stay with VB6 you'll have to consider downgrading to CR XI R2 (v11.5). I don't know if CR XI R2 is still available, but you can call the Sales Department at Business Objects to discuss it further. The Sales number is 800-877-2340. Select Option 4 and then Option 1.

Sincerely,

Dan Kelleher

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Dan.

Then there has been a recent about face with Crystal Reports 2008 as they definitely offered a "free" download of the COM objects required to integrate with VB6.

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Peter,

I'm not familiar with the "free download of the COM objects" that you've mentioned. There's been no "about face" regarding where support for the RDC was headed. The RDC was depricated with the release of CR10 and an [RDC Statement of Direction|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/80bd35e5-c71d-2b10-4593-d09907d95289] was posted on the Business Objects website.

Do you have more details about the "free download of the COM objects?" Is there a link you can post? If so I'll look around for more information.

Sincerely,

Dan Kelleher

Answers (0)