cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESS MSS Performance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

We have ESS/MSS Portal configured on ECC 5.0, EP6, Windows 2003 environment. Our users are experiencing performance issues accessing ESS or MSS Portal. Accessing the initial ESS/MSS page is slow etc. We have checked CPU and memory utilization and it looks good.

What is the best way to configure ESS/MSS Portal on EP6, ECC 5.0? We have our ESS/MSS on our HR Backend system (Java + ABAP) and business component for ESS/MSS on EP6 (Java Only). What is the best practice for setting up ESS/MSS with EP6? Should we move our ESS/MSS from HR backend to Portal Server? Is there any configuration we should look at?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I hope you have looked at the memory parameters for the java stack. Also if only some specific users are facing issues then it might be useful to look at the network rather than thinking of tuning the portal.

If all the users are facing issues memory params is likely to be the issue

Thanks,

GLM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks GLM for your quick response.

Yes, all the users are experiencing performance issues. Some users are getting timeout as well.

I did look at the JVM memory. Here are some of the parameters for each server processes on both backend and on portal servers:

-XX:NewSize=170m

-XX:MaxNewSize=170m

-XX:MaxPermSize=192m

-Djava.awt.headless=true

-XX:PermSize=192m

-Xms1024m

-verbose:gc

I did a GC trace on GCViewer, On the backend system, used heap size is growing until full garbage collection and goes back to 30% of the total heap size and starts growing again. This happenes every 12 hours and occationally, two garbage collections are happening within 2 hours. This happens on all three server processes. If you want can email you the GC trace.

On our Portal servers, used heap looks good and there no garbage collection happening on these servers.

Please let me know how to proceed further and thanks again in advance for your help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shree,

Have a look at the following note: 723909. Describes memory paramaters for Java VM

Thanks,

GLM

Former Member
0 Kudos

GLM...thanks again.

"sadly" our systems are configured almost exactly as described in the note. There is no further improvements to be made there.

Going through HR290 (System Configuration for ESS/MSS for ECC 6.0, EP7) training manual, it seems ESS/MSS pages are configured through Webdynpro and there is some backend processing happening at ABAP end. Doe anyone know how this works in ECC 5.0 EP6 ESS/MSS Portal environment? or does anyone have the System Configuration document for ESS/MSS running on ECC 5.0 EP6?