cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XML import to MDM

Former Member
0 Kudos

When I try to import an XML file to MDM, using the Import Manager GUI,

if a node in the XML file has more than one value (the node repeats many times),

Import Manager creates a new table as a source.

Is there a way to have all XML data in one table as a source in the Import Manager?

Thanks

Nicolas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nicolas,

Whenever you are importing master data into MDM using Import Manager in the XML format.It is always recommented to use the appropiate XML schema for the same.

This will help the IM to recognise the Structure of the XML source file that you wish to import.Importing the XML source without the XML structure can cause many other problems as well.

If you are importing from a Std ECC source thn XI can provide you the XML structure of teh source file or else there are even transcations to extract the Std XML schema from ECC.

If you are using the MDM repository structure ,then you can get the XMls tucture of the MDM rep by using Export Schema->and then generate the XSD from it using xomlite software.

Is there a way to have all XML data in one table as a source in the Import Manager?

- As for your question,Yes you can bring all the nodes under one table by using the Joins feature in MDM.

- In the XML source that you have you will have one main node say(Matmas05).

- You need to join your sub tables to this table,if joins are not preexisting.

- Then you can lookup the subtables fields into the main table(Matmas05).

- This will bring all table(node) fields under one table.And then you can map the fields to one destination MDM table effectively.

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Simona and Sudhir for your answers, but here is an example with the problem I am facing,.

I need to automate the import porcess of XML files that come from another system.

I have the following XML:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<Client>

<Name>John Doe</Name>

<IdNumber>999</IdNumber>

<Address>123 Street New York,NY 10001</Address>

<FamilyMember>

<Name>Wilma Doe</Name>

<IdNumber>865</IdNumber>

</FamilyMember>

</Client>

and when I see it in Import manager I only have one table as a source, called "Client"

But, "FamilyMember" can have more than one member , for example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<Client>

<Name>John Doe</Name>

<IdNumber>999</IdNumber>

<FamilyMember>

<Name>Wilma Doe</Name>

<IdNumber>865</IdNumber>

</FamilyMember>

<FamilyMember>

<Name>Peter Doe</Name>

<IdNumber>157</IdNumber>

</FamilyMember>

</Client>

and in this case, Import manager shows two tables, one called "Client" and another called "FamilyMember"

I do not know beforehand if the XML to be imported will have one or more Family Membera and I need to have one map to automate this process.

Let me know if my problem needs more clarification,

Thanks for your help

Nicolas

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nicolas,

how does your MDM repository look like? I'd expect something like a "Client - Maintable" having a "Family Member - Qualified lookup table". If this is the case, the import is quite easy. First of all you should use an XML Schema as already explained. Then you should use an XML message that describes the full set of the data that might occur (an XML that has a client and at least one familiy member) to create an import map. Uses the "Client" as a source table. In the source hierarchy view you'll see that below the "Client" table the "Family Member" table is linked. If you right-click on this one, you can lookup fields. Then you can use these fields in the mapping.

BR Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Michael, it worked well.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is good idea to use XML schema wherever possible for XML kind of imports, and Import manager does do what your pointed out for a reason:

Use Joins to effectively add the fields of those "other " segments to the main parent segments and then map them.

Please refer to Import manager guide, there is whole section on XML imports.

-Sudhir.