cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect Non-SAP Oracle db (32bit) in sql 2005 (64 bit) using linked server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am connecting Oracle 10g database from SQL 2005 using linked server, in which i get the error

"Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "MSDAORA" for linked server "L2ORACLE".

OLE DB provider "MSDAORA" for linked server "L2ORACLE" returned message "Oracle client and networking components

were not found. " (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 7303)

SAP Server with sql 2005 db is in 64 bit server / Windows 2003

Non-SAP Oracle 10g is in 32 bit windows 2003 server.

i have installed Oracle 64 bit client in the SAP Server and also copied the 64 bit version of dboraslib.dll to the DIR_LIBRARY path. I am able to view the oracle tables in the oracle client.

But, when i create the linked server, it gives the above error.

If i install 32 bit version of Oracle client in the SAP Server, i am able to create the linked server in the db level, but, it says "Work Process restarted, session terminated" message in the Z program in SAP.

The same works in the test environment where both are 32 bit servers. problem is when SAP server is in 64 bit and non sap is in 32 bit.

Please suggest.

Thanks and Regards,

Nagu

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

"Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "MSDAORA" for linked server "L2ORACLE".

OLE DB provider "MSDAORA" for linked server "L2ORACLE" returned message "Oracle client and networking components

were not found. " (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 7303)

check the workprocess traces for errors (and/or SM21). It seems that the system is "not aware" that an Oracle client is installed.

64bit programs can´t load 32bit libraries/DLLs that´s why the workprocess dumps when you use the 32bit client.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Thanks for the reply.

But, installing 64 bit version of Oracle client and dboraslib.dll, i am not even able to create the linked server in the database level.

I get the error in the first step, when i create the linked server in the db level, before getting into SAP. But, i am able to view the oracle tables in the "Enterprise Manager Console" of oracle client.

Please clarify.

Thanks and Regards,

Nagu

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Which error do you get? can you

- tnsping <remote-database>

- sqlplus <user>/<password>@<remote database>

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

Both TNSPING and SQLPLUS works.

I am getting result OK for TNSPING and

able to login with sqlplus into the oracle db and extract values from oracle tables in the sql promp in the SAP Server.

Basic connection works from the oracle client.

But, not able to create the linked server.

Thanks and Regards,

Nagu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It finally worked when i upgraded the kernel to patch level 179.

Thanks for the inputs.

Thanks and Regards,

Nagu