cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Column headings move left when exporting to Excel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does anyone know of a work around for this? I have a couple of reports that when they are exported to excel the column heading moves to the left, and for that matter there are some small blank columns inserted as well.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you clarify, are you exporting to excel? Or Excel (data only)?

In the case of an export to excel, it exports the report objects in a WYSIWYG format, that does some crazy column merging and adds all kinds of spaces and things into the data to attempt to as closely as possible match what you see in Crystal.

IMHO, the excel export is pretty much useless. You might as well export to PDF.

now, if you're exporting to excel (data only) and you're seeing a shift in your column headers from your data, then it generally means one of two things:

1) your columns don't line up exactly

or

2) There is a mismatch between the number of column headers, and the number of data columns. For example, you may have a group name, or another field that doesn't line up with the header, and Crystal is atempting to rationalize the headers.

Ensure that all of your data columns have companion header entries, even if they're blank. Also, use the multi-select, right click to align field lefts, and 'same width' them.

hope that helps.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is when exporting from InfoView and now that i take a closer look at it, it could be that all the 2nd through 8th columns are shifting to the right because the headers are all aligned correctly on their row. I did try your suggestion of entering a blank text field and that did not make a difference.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Insert a text object with blanks to the left of your first column header - especially if you have a first column that doesn't have headers.

Are you using the Constant Column Width option?