Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mass Role creation on backend system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I have seem posts in Security Forum, asking on the same question as me, for the possibilities to have mass creation of Single Roles and composite Roles. I still have yet to find a solution, may it be developement or Third party application.

If there is any suggestions, ideas or even a possible solution, can anyone pls share it with me as I need to create afew hundreds sinle roles and also composite roles in a short period of time.

Thanks.

Raymond

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raymond,

Please use the search, there are a few posts which give various options.

Depending on your design you can automate much of it with eCATT scripts or LSMW's.

There are plenty of front end scripting tools which can also save you time.

There are not too many commercial products, The SAP GRC suite has a tool which allows faster role builds but it will take a while to install....CSI also has a tool which can speed up the process.

For a few hundred roles + composites, in my experience you will usually be able to create them in a few days manually.

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raymond,

Please use the search, there are a few posts which give various options.

Depending on your design you can automate much of it with eCATT scripts or LSMW's.

There are plenty of front end scripting tools which can also save you time.

There are not too many commercial products, The SAP GRC suite has a tool which allows faster role builds but it will take a while to install....CSI also has a tool which can speed up the process.

For a few hundred roles + composites, in my experience you will usually be able to create them in a few days manually.

0 Kudos

Thanks Alex and I did a search in the forum and also in google. I knew about eCATT but thats possible to create but will have a problem when it comes to maintain the object values. LSMW will have the same issue when it comes to maintaining the object values.

We are at this moment trying to setup GRC, but was not inform that there is a tool within GRC that can help speedup mass crearion of roles/compoiste role. Do you have the name of the tool in GRC?

As for CSI, we are currently using that. Thus, I was hoping to see if there is any other possible ways besides CSI tool.

Thanks.

Raymond

0 Kudos

Hi Raymond,

Populating the values is the hard part. You can do it with eCATTs but unless you have maybe 500+ roles derived from a master then it is not worth the effort as you need to create one for each parent role.

In most cases it is quicker to do it by hand, if just populating org levels then it's fair to assume 200 a day is within easy reach.

The GRC product used to be called Role Expert, i think it has been renamed but it is not without it's drawbacks. If you have the CSI role build tool then I don't think the SAP one will be much quicker, especially if you have not much time to do it.

Developing a program to automate the population of org levels will take a week to create & properly test so if things are tight then you may not be saving any time there either.

0 Kudos

Thanks Alex for those helpful remarks. At least its driving to towards the conclusion that I'm thinking of. )

Anyone else has remarks to add? I would appreciate if thereare more remarks/suggestions/idea's.

Thanks.

Raymond

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raymond,

Get a large pot of coffee and some tunes on your ipod, lock yourself in a room away from the rest of the office and get down to it - this is one of those occasions where the amount of time spent looking for a way to do it quicker will almost certainly equal the amount of time getting it done the old fashioned way, thats what we found, Good Luck !

Cheers

Steve