cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to use SAP RFC to connect two non-SAP systems?

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP - SAP, ok

- SAP RFC is used for communication between two SAP systems.

non-SAP - SAP, ok

- Using the SAP RFC library, you can connect a non-SAP system with a SAP system.

non-SAP - non-SAP, ?

- But, looking at the SAP RFC library, it seems to me that it is impossible, by design from SAP, to use SAP RFC for communication between two non-SAP systems

What do you think?

Edited by: Patrice Krakow on Oct 10, 2008 12:27 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

the answer would be a no.

with the involvement of XI, an RFC adapter will connect to a SAP system only.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your replies!

I knew the answer was "no", but I needed it to be confirmed by SAP experts.

I think some people were confused because they see "SAP RFC" as a standard/open transport protocol. But, "SAP RFC" is a proprietary implementation of RFC by SAP and the SAP RFC library given by SAP for non-SAP systems developers does NOT contains the full "SAP RFC" stack

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Patrice,

non-SAP - non-SAP, ?

it is completely no we can't do that either any one of the system should be SAP

SAP as defined some set of components lke IDOCs BAPIs RFC to communicate with the other external systems

RFC as some set of SAP attributes associated with that which helps in the effective communication

Regards

Sampath

former_member183906
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Remote Function Call (RFC) is the standard SAP interface for communication between SAP systems. The RFC calls a function to be executed in a remote system.

For NON SAP systems communication, you can use SOAP/HTTP adapters.

If NON SAP system supports JMS/JDBC u can use those adapters even.

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Non-SAP system can't use SAP RFC. Logically it doesn't make any sense because SAP RFC uses ABAP stack of SAP. However, u may think of non-SAP RFCs communiating using XI.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/1093c7a4-369f-2910-dfb2-afd07f21...

Regards,

Prateek