cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading a PAR file from portal to edit in NWDS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a step by step procedure to locate an iView in the portal that is provided by SAP and download its PAR file for editing in NWDS. Later on editing the PAR file i want to use that iview in portal again. Could anyone explain me the standard procedure for doing this.

I am looking to download the Travel Expense Report iView from the portal and edit it in NWDS. I would appreciate your help.

Kind Regards,

Gopal.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gopal,

First thing is, you should not change SAP standard code. If you do so, you would not get support from SAP.

Anyway, please find the steps of how to find a par related to and iView and how to import it to NWDS for changing the code.

1: Open the iView properties and locate the "Code link" property. What you have there is the par file name with the portal component name. The last part of it is the component name. E.g. if the code link has com.sap.iview.blabla, then blabla is the portal component name and rest of it is the par file name.

2: Navigate to System Administration --> Support --> Portal Runtime --> Brows deployment and find for the par file name.

3: Download the par file in your local machine. It should be downloaded in the format .par.bak

4: Manually remove the .bak and have it just as .par. Then open the NWDS and import the par.

Note: SAP does not provide you with the codes of SAP standard pars. If you want to do that, you will have to decompile and get the codes. But again, SAP would not support such code. So, beware before doing such change.

I hope this clarifies what you were looking for.

Regards

Mukesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mukesh,

Thanks a lot for your reply. You have cleared my confusion. I appreciate your help. But, I have another small doubt.

Can I copy the SAP provided iView and edit it using NWDI and use the customised iView for my ESS?

Will that make any changes to the iView that is originally provided by SAP?

If I want to edit the SAP provided par's (not editing the original ones, but just editing a copy of them) you advised me to decompile for getting the code. What is decompiling? How do I decompile an iview for getting the code?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gopal,

Yes, you can copy the standard pars into your client namespace and do the changes in it so that whenever there is an update from SAP your code does not get lost.

I had a similar kind of requirement, changing the emergency contact iView. The standard emergency contact iView shows only 1 emergency contact of an employee, but we had a requirement to show 2 such contacts. Instead of changing the standard par, I created a new par and it's working perfectly fine. It has been live since more than 2 and half years.

Decompilation is opposite of compilation i.e. you can get Java files out of the class files. But this is not recommened to do.

Regards

Mukesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mukesh,

Thanks a lot for your reply. That gave me a clear picture. I appreciate your help.

Kind Regards,

Gopal.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi gopal,

first you have to import PAR file from portal,

Navigate to System Administration --> Support --> Portal Runtime --> Brows deployment.

find ur par file and download that.

go in nwds.

1. new

2.import.

3 import par file.

now ur par file is in nwds do whatever you want to change.

then in nwds only there is option of deploying par file.

if you get any doubt ask anythign related to that.

jayesh talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jayesh,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I have searched on SDN and got this answer in many threads. But, I think this is entirely different scenario. I have navigated to the specified "Browse deployement" in my portal. The thing is, I am planning to edit the ESS iviews that are provided by SAP. I am not sure about this. Could you explain me about this is more detail. As posted by GLM before, regarding configuring NWDI for XSS. Could anyone explain me about XSS.

What is XSS?

What is the use of XSS?

how to configure NWDI for XSS?

How is importing XSS tracks in NWDI?

I would appreciate your help.

Kind Regards,

Gopal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gopal,

what version of ESS are you talking about.

As far as I know all the recent iviews of ESS are built using Webdynpro for java

you can find the technology used by looking at the iview properties

Thanks

Bala Duvvuri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bala,

I think you did not get my point. All the iViews that we are using are SAP standard and I can see that all the iViews are developed using Webdynpro Java. My requirement is, I want to change some of those iviews that are provided by SAP by importing them to Developer studio. I am new to web dynpro. i have some basic idea about it. Please advise me accordingly. I would appreciate your help.

Kind Regards,

Gopal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gopal,

Inorder to modify those iviews you have to have NWDI installed.

check the Netweaver forum

for more details on installation steps

Thanks

Bala Duvvuri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bala,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I have already installed NWDI and at the moment it is setup and running. I am trying to edit the SAP Standard iViews by exporting them from portal and then importing to NWDI. But I am not familiar with the exporting those SAP standard iviews from portal to NWDI. I would appreciate your help.

Kind Regards,

Gopal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You will have to modify the WD application and not the iview. The IView only is a display for the WD applucation. Once you have configured NWDI for XSS and have imported the XSS tracks you will have to check out the application you wish to modify and proceed accordingly.

Thanks,

GLM