Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase the length of MAKTX

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,my client want material description to be more than 40,i.e 100 and more over whenevr he presses F4 at MATNR field they should get description with 100 chars,how to achieve it?

PLEASE DONT ADVISE ME TO APPLY ACCESS KEY AND CHANGE MAKT TABLE ETC ETC.

Please advice any way(if available) other than modifications in SAP.

5 REPLIES 5

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Explain to your client the cost and risks of modifying sap objects. The chances are they think they want to do this but have no understanding of the implications.

In order to increase the length of this field, you'd have to change the domain of data element maktx to something longer than char40. Or maybe you can just change the field in makt directly.

You'd then have to check ALL standard SAP programs that use maxtx in any way, to make sure they still work. You may have to change the standard SAP programs to make it work.

After than you have to check all the tables that use maktx or makt, and check that they're ok. They made need to be adapted in SE14.

You'll need to check all lock objects, search helps, and lots of screens, to make sure they can hold the new longer description.

You see, SAP have designed MM so that the short text of a material is maximum 40 characters. It's all over the module. You start changing that, and the whole application might come crashing down. And, of course, your system may well no longer be supported by SAP.

Go back to your client.

madan_ullasa
Contributor
0 Kudos

hi...

append a structure in MAKT with a field 'ZMAKTX' with length 100.. and c if you can connect this to the description of MATNR....

Give a try.... Keep your client happy ....

Regards,

Madan...

0 Kudos

>

> Give a try.... Keep your client happy ....

And loose your job because something unforeseen happened.

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't know. Madan's approach might work. It's certainly less risky. It depends on what the client wants. If they want 100 characters everywhere, then they've got problems. If it's just for a few reports, or a few dialogues, then maybe not.

However, keeping the client happy also includes helping them to not shoot themselves in the head, by not understanding the implications of what they want. I can't imagine that their business will no longer function if they are stuck with 40 characters. This does sound like a "nice to have".

0 Kudos

Thanks all of u r replies guys,I already had a 3 hr meeting on this issue with the client,they are not understanding the risk behind this,as Madan said I already had this thought and discussed with MM consultant,like by any means he can connect this description in MM01/02.....etc but he said he cannot do this.

Though I will try to convince my client once again.

Between,l have given them a suggetion that I can mainatain all the material numbers and the description in one table,what they need to do is just run a transaction and press F4 and choose the material number with the appropriate description(wich I have already maintained in a z table) and write the number in PO or anywhere they want.They dont want to do this also.They want all AUTOMATIC !.Lets see what happens,