cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Start FRS services.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I can't seem to start my input, or output FRS. If I try to start the services, they stop immediatly. The following error is logged in event viewer:

The root server reported an error Configuration Problem. (Reason: Cannot find the root directory '' to start the File Repository Server.).

Any support would be greatly appreciated.

Sang.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

BasicTek
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

It seems to be indicating that the FRS servers cannot access the specified directory.

by default this is C:\Program Files\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 11.5\FileStore\Input or Output

You can edit this value in the CMC/servers/FRS (input ot output).

Regards,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the quick reply, however, I can't change the settings in CMC because the service isnt started I dont have access to the settings, ie, the server is greyed out.

Sang.

BasicTek
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

ok try the registry then

hkeylocalmachine/software/business objects/suite11.5/file server/instances

-Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

We are using Crystal Enterprise 8.

I've change:

hkeylocalmachine/software/seagate software/8.0/File server/Instances

To point to the correct path, however the error is still showing up. FRS servers still fail to start and the same error message showing up in Event Viewer.

Regards Sang.

BasicTek
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

yikkes CE8? I've never actually seen CE8 much more than in a migration case. If setting a propoer directory doesn't work I'm not sure what else to try.

-Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

lol, its an old system, has always worked until now havent seen much need to upgrade.

Thanks for trying, hopefully someone else might have a better idea!

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not sure if CE8 has a CCM like interface to control services and their parameters. If it does, you should be able to specify the locations of Input and Output FRS through the CCM by adding the location to the command line for those 2 services.

I am not 100% sure at this point what the command line switch for that is, but I will try to look it up.

HTH...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alright here you go...give this a shot!

AGAIN...I have never used CE8 so I am not sure if CE8 had a CCM interface like BO XI does, but if it does, then this might work....

1. Open the CCM.

2. Stop the appropriate FRS and click the Properties button.

3. Type u201Cu2013RootDir <RootDirFolder>u201D at the end of the Command text box:

u201C\C$\Program Files\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 11.5\win32_x86\outputfileserver.exeu201D -service -name <FileServerInstance> -ns <CMSClusterName> -restart -RootDir u201CD:\BO FRS\Outputu201D

4. Restart the FRS. 

Edited by: Sarang Deshpande on Oct 13, 2008 2:27 PM

BasicTek
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Also verify the account running the FRS has full control over that directory, if not using local system verify that it's a member of local administrators.

-Tim

Answers (0)